MRxSmb 8003, Master Browser Election causing lost network RRS feed

• Question

• I know that this issue has been brought up before, but could someone possibly help me understand first of all how the election can cause the whs to completely drop the network connection?

I have seen this before and rebooted the server to get it back online. Just recently I noticed that the only thing I need to do is to unplug the LAN cable and reconnect it and everything will go online again.

The client causing this is a win 7 64 bit ultimate, which is always on, so this has nothing to do with a computer booting and asking for a master browser.

All computers and other devices are on the same sub, and the same workgroup. I have a Thomson TG787 ADSL modem/router assigning all IPs.

I have tried to change the Computer Browser service on the client today and will check if that helps, but still, how is it possible that a client can win the elevtion when there is a server on the network?

Tuesday, October 12, 2010 7:50 AM

All replies

• I guess the Master Browser election issue is more likely a symptom and not the cause of your problem. Could be name resolution or network related issue. First make sure NetBIOS (file and printers haring) is active and allowed through firewall(s) on client. If this is all fine please try solution from this MS support article.

Could also be some issue with network adapter or network adapter driver or settings. You may try using different (older or newer) driver version for client and server NIC, try and disable all power saving options for client and server network adapter. You may also try setting NIC on server and client to fixed speed instead of auto negotiate.

Tuesday, October 12, 2010 3:03 PM