Office validation failure RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
    I have a perfectly valid copy of office 2003, recently I have somehow failed the validation (shows me its not a genuine copy), I have my original discs supplied by Microsoft, key and purchase order number.

Ran the diagnostic report and find that somehow the keys do not match up. I cannot seem to find a page to re-enter the key and am worried about removing office progs that failed validation as I do not want to loose any work or emails.

My last 8 digits of my code are 3GDCY-J9CY3 and they do not match the diag report. I have not had my laptop repaired or handed it to anyone else.
    can anyone help as 8 requests for support from the 24 hr support service have not been responded to.

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0011.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Validation Code: 0

Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-XPHQ6-JX4BJ-YXMV8
    Windows Product Key Hash: E75m/zBFr62w49fQPHjO9Yc3XZw=
    Windows Product ID: 76487-640-0651916-23120
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro
    ID: {B93917CF-5C1A-4FEB-9C55-1DF6E44AD199}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.9.40.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 0
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.9.40.0
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: 2.0.48.0
    OGAExec.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 103 Blocked VLK
    Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007 - 103 Blocked VLK
    OGA Version: Registered, 2.0.48.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-230-1_E2AD56EA-765-d003_E2AD56EA-766-0_E2AD56EA-134-80004005

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{B93917CF-5C1A-4FEB-9C55-1DF6E44AD199}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0011.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-YXMV8</PKey><PID>76487-640-0651916-23120</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-790525478-308236825-1417001333</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Sony Corporation</Manufacturer><Model>VGN-FS215B</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies LTD</Manufacturer><Version>R0040J1</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="34"/><Date>20050311000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>F7B63C07018400D2</HWID><UserLCID>1809</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>GMT Standard Time(GMT+00:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification><File Name="WgaTray.exe" Version="1.9.40.0"/><File Name="WgaLogon.dll" Version="1.9.40.0"/><File Name="OGAAddin.dll" Version="2.0.48.0"/></GANotification></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>103</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90120000-0030-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}"><LegitResult>103</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007</Name><Ver>12</Ver><Val>C0A25836FDBE5AC</Val><Hash>FmDbcrRY1pTOcrz4ZUZRHhpUuc0=</Hash><Pid>89388-726-2958074-65078</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product></Products><Applications><App Id="15" Version="12" Result="103"/><App Id="16" Version="12" Result="103"/><App Id="18" Version="12" Result="103"/><App Id="19" Version="12" Result="103"/><App Id="1A" Version="12" Result="103"/><App Id="1B" Version="12" Result="103"/><App Id="44" Version="12" Result="103"/><App Id="A1" Version="12" Result="103"/><App Id="BA" Version="12" Result="103"/></Applications></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: yes
    Marker string from BIOS: 7B24:HITACHI, Ltd|7B24:HITACHI, Ltd|7B24:HITACHI, Ltd|1FF90:Sony Corporation|1FF90:Sony Corporation ITCNC
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

Wednesday, November 11, 2009 1:52 PM

Answers

• Hello david wexford,

Let's break this problem down into Windows and Office sections.

Windows
    The information at Sony's support page for your model of VAIO computer http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/specifications/index.aspx?m=VGN-FS215B&l=en_GB says that the computer came with Windows XP Home Edition.  You can confirm this by checking the bottom of the laptop for a Certificate of Authenticity that will have the version and edition of Windows that the computer is licensed to run.  The Product Key is also on the CoA label.

Right now the computer has a Volume Licensing edition of XP Pro installed.  Even though the status is reported as Genuine, it is not a genuine use of the license if you or your organization are not the original holders of the Volume Licensing Agreement to which this Volume License belongs.  The catch is that some day, the rightful holders of this Volume License may cancel their license, or the product key may be discovered to have been lost, stolen, or leaked to the internet, then the product key will be blocked and shortly thereafter your XP installation will begin reporting that it is nongenuine.

You can prevent this type of problem by returning your Sony computer's XP installation back to the original genuine license that it came with from Sony.  If you have the Recovery Solution provided by Sony (a set of recovery discs, a hidden recovery partition on the hard disk drive, or a combination of both), you can back up your data, then run the Recovery according to Sony support directions, putting the original genuine XP Home installation back onto the computer.

If you do not have the Sony recovery solution, please contact Sony at this page to see if you can order a set of Recovery CDs:  http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/contacts/index.aspx?l=en_GB&m=VGN-FS215B

Office
    At the moment, your installation of Office is a Volume Licensing installation of Office Enterprise 2007 which was done with a now-blocked Volume Licensing Key.  A "blocked" VLK is one that was issued by Microsoft to a business, educational institution, or governmental agency for their exclusive use in accordance with a Volume Licensing Agreement.  (Note that such use does NOT allow the resale of such VLKs.)  However, because the VLK may have been reported lost, stolen, or compromised to the internet by the original keyholder, or because the Volume Licensing Agreement has expired, Microsoft has blocked the VLK from further use.

The installed Office is certainly not your Office Small Business 2003 Upgrade installation.

Do you have any downloaded files or program installation CDs for Office Small Biz 2003 Upgrade?  If you do, and if you have the CDs for the previous edition of Office or Works that was upgraded, then you would be able to uninstall Office Enterprise 2007 and install your Office Small Biz 2003.  Assuming all is well with your Office Small Biz 2003, this would get you back to being Genuine again.

What program was upgraded by your Office Small Biz 2003 upgrade?  (In order to install an upgrade, you have to have the CDs for the older Office or Works program that is being upgraded to Office Small Biz 2003.  This older program does not have to be installed on the computer for the upgrade to work---all you need is the installation CD to prove you have it.)

Doing a little internet searching revealed that there is a program in the UK, in which Microsoft participates, that provides technology products such as Microsoft software to eligible charities.  If you are not familiar with it, please visit http://www.ctxchange.org/directory/2 to see a price list of the software available.  If your charity qualifies, perhaps the best option at this point would be to take advantage of the steeply discounted prices and purchase new software to replace your nonegnuine software.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 4:28 PM

All replies

• Hello David Wexford,

Your Sony computer has a Volume License for Windows XP Pro installed and a Volume License for Office Enterprise 2007 installed.

The Volume License for Office Enterprise 2007 currently has a blocked Volume Licensing product key, which is causing the nongenuine notices you are seeing.

Normally when both your Windows and Office are Volume Licenses, that indicates the computer is being used in a business, educational, or governmental setting where the organization is large enough to warrant the use of Volume Licensing software.  Such organizations usually have an IT support staff, so your first course of action would be to contact the IT staff to have them resolve the issue.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 2:25 PM
  • Dan,
    Thanks for the info. I have absolutly no idea how I have ended up with a license belonging to someone else. My laptop has been with me for last 5 years and has never been for repair! Office Enterprise 2007, no idea, havnt downloaded anything like this.

I am a small charity and purchased on 19th August 2005 direct from Microsoft a "Microsoft Office small business edition 2003 upgrade" I have my order number and key. I think I started started out by downloading the 60 day trial and upgraded from there. I paid Euro 443.54 at the time.

I have no IT staff, do everything myself, so are you saying I'm stuffed and I have to pay for a new set of Office software?

Thanks for your help anyway.
    David
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 3:34 PM
  • Hello david wexford,

Let's break this problem down into Windows and Office sections.

Windows
    The information at Sony's support page for your model of VAIO computer http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/specifications/index.aspx?m=VGN-FS215B&l=en_GB says that the computer came with Windows XP Home Edition.  You can confirm this by checking the bottom of the laptop for a Certificate of Authenticity that will have the version and edition of Windows that the computer is licensed to run.  The Product Key is also on the CoA label.

Right now the computer has a Volume Licensing edition of XP Pro installed.  Even though the status is reported as Genuine, it is not a genuine use of the license if you or your organization are not the original holders of the Volume Licensing Agreement to which this Volume License belongs.  The catch is that some day, the rightful holders of this Volume License may cancel their license, or the product key may be discovered to have been lost, stolen, or leaked to the internet, then the product key will be blocked and shortly thereafter your XP installation will begin reporting that it is nongenuine.

You can prevent this type of problem by returning your Sony computer's XP installation back to the original genuine license that it came with from Sony.  If you have the Recovery Solution provided by Sony (a set of recovery discs, a hidden recovery partition on the hard disk drive, or a combination of both), you can back up your data, then run the Recovery according to Sony support directions, putting the original genuine XP Home installation back onto the computer.

If you do not have the Sony recovery solution, please contact Sony at this page to see if you can order a set of Recovery CDs:  http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/contacts/index.aspx?l=en_GB&m=VGN-FS215B

Office
    At the moment, your installation of Office is a Volume Licensing installation of Office Enterprise 2007 which was done with a now-blocked Volume Licensing Key.  A "blocked" VLK is one that was issued by Microsoft to a business, educational institution, or governmental agency for their exclusive use in accordance with a Volume Licensing Agreement.  (Note that such use does NOT allow the resale of such VLKs.)  However, because the VLK may have been reported lost, stolen, or compromised to the internet by the original keyholder, or because the Volume Licensing Agreement has expired, Microsoft has blocked the VLK from further use.

The installed Office is certainly not your Office Small Business 2003 Upgrade installation.

Do you have any downloaded files or program installation CDs for Office Small Biz 2003 Upgrade?  If you do, and if you have the CDs for the previous edition of Office or Works that was upgraded, then you would be able to uninstall Office Enterprise 2007 and install your Office Small Biz 2003.  Assuming all is well with your Office Small Biz 2003, this would get you back to being Genuine again.

What program was upgraded by your Office Small Biz 2003 upgrade?  (In order to install an upgrade, you have to have the CDs for the older Office or Works program that is being upgraded to Office Small Biz 2003.  This older program does not have to be installed on the computer for the upgrade to work---all you need is the installation CD to prove you have it.)

Doing a little internet searching revealed that there is a program in the UK, in which Microsoft participates, that provides technology products such as Microsoft software to eligible charities.  If you are not familiar with it, please visit http://www.ctxchange.org/directory/2 to see a price list of the software available.  If your charity qualifies, perhaps the best option at this point would be to take advantage of the steeply discounted prices and purchase new software to replace your nonegnuine software.
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 4:28 PM
  • HI thanks,
    I'm now even more confused. XP has been validated, I have original laptop key code and home edition discs.

Office,
    The only thing I have is as prev explained, 60 day trial, upgraded €440+ spent. No idea how 2007 loaded on my laptop, only 'external' influence on my laptop is from security updates. I have older discs of 2000 and works.

Guess I'll give up as I cannot make sense of all this. Looks like I'm having to spend more money.

Thanks for your help anyway.
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 12:24 AM
  • Hello David,

"XP has been validated, I have original laptop key code and home edition discs"

Yes, but you have XP Pro (not Home) actually installed on the computer. You may have the original key that came with the laptop, but that is not the key currently being used in your XP.

"Looks like I'm having to spend more money."

No, not necessarily.

For Windows: To resolve the issue, all you need to do is reinstall XP using the XP Home disk and product Key.

For Office: Try reinstalling the Office, and then go to http://microsoft.com/genuine and click the 'Validate Office' button.
    If it fails, go to the person or company that sold you the Office and demand a Refund.
    If it passes validation, it's Genuine.

I can't streess this enough:

When a person that has a Genuine copy of Microsoft software, but the software actually installed on the computer shows as Non-genuine, the cause is usually that they had their computer repaired and the repair guy found it necessary to reinstall Windows and/or Office. But instead of contacting the owner to get the proper Product Keys for the software, he uses pirated stuff off the internet instead.

Or maybe a friend thought they were doing you a favor by upgrading your XP Home to Pro, for "free".  He may not have even known what they were doing was going to cause this trouble.

Don't automaticly assume you need to re-buy the software.  In these types of cases, the resolution is just to reinstall the software using the proper Genuine product keys and software.

Hope that helps,
    Darin MS
    Friday, November 13, 2009 9:10 PM
  • Darin,
    I am still trying to resolve, I will reload XP home ( I have 2 sets of software) 1 x copy (2 discs) is XP media centre and 1 x copy home edition (which I will re-load) BUT I do not have any recovery discs as prev suggested and cannot find place on Sony site to request a set to be sent).

My office copy came from a trial download and I upgraded (so I do not have original discs). I have looked all over Microsoft website to find original trial versiion to download and try the upgrade key again, but so far I cannot resolve.

My Sony Vaio can preloaded and I cannot find any original discs ( I have the key code on the botton of the laptop and Sony corp key code on original instruction manuals etc). I have been to the sony site (as suggested in above thread) but find nothing to download to start re-loading.

I would like to thank everyone for helping so far.
    regards,
    David
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 10:34 AM