WHS Console not starting - Event viewer shows problem with .NET 2.0 RRS feed

• Question

• This has only happened since I updated via the consoles update feature. I have not installed any add-ins or service software as yet following a fresh install.

Error report on event viewer for .NET 2.0 is:

.NET 2.0 Runtime Error Reporting

Faulting application homeserverconsole.exe, version 6.0.2030.2, stamp 49ed39c1, faulting module mscorwks.dll, version 2.0.50727.3082, stamp 492b82c1, debug? 0, fault address 0x0002c104.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

and......

.NET Runtime

.NET Runtime version 2.0.50727.3082 - Fatal Execution Engine Error (7A0979C6) (80131506)

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Having had an absolute nightmare resintalling and nearly loosing years of pictures etc I would really love to sort this without reinstalling again.

(BTW the server reinstall function failed to complete on 3 occasions)

Monday, July 13, 2009 4:09 PM

Answers

• I have reinstalled (again!) and everything seems to be fine now.

It's worth noting that since the reinstall I have moved from 4 x 500gb hard drives to 2 x 1TB and the unit seems to work better.

It may be that the power consumption was too much for the PSU although my PSU apparently has twice the power needed according to known PSU requirement calculators.

Lesson learned, I think I will buy a bigger PSU for the next hard drive upgrade.
    Friday, July 17, 2009 9:17 AM

All replies

• Have you recently installed anything on your server, or made any changes to it's configuration (other than the reinstallations you mentioned)? Add-ins installed or uninstalled? Other software installed or uninstalled using Remote Desktop or physical console? Configuration changes elsewhere?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, July 13, 2009 5:00 PM
  • None, it was literally a brand new install!
    Monday, July 13, 2009 5:35 PM
  • Bummer.

You may want to submit a bug report on Connect. You'll have trouble including logs the usual way since that requires the console to be functional, but start with the bug report and another copy/paste from the error you're seeing. I don't know the real cause of your issue, though.

Personally, I would also consider another reinstallation. If need be I would consider doing it as a new installation on a brand new hard drive, then I would transfer files onto the new installaiton one (old) disk at a time, followed each time by adding the disk to the storage pool. It can be a ridiculous amount of work, though, if you've got a lot of files. If you decide to go this route, try giving the bur report a few days first, in case Microsoft needs more details.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, July 13, 2009 5:56 PM
  • I have reinstalled (again!) and everything seems to be fine now.

It's worth noting that since the reinstall I have moved from 4 x 500gb hard drives to 2 x 1TB and the unit seems to work better.

It may be that the power consumption was too much for the PSU although my PSU apparently has twice the power needed according to known PSU requirement calculators.

Lesson learned, I think I will buy a bigger PSU for the next hard drive upgrade.
    Friday, July 17, 2009 9:17 AM