Can TuneUp reminder interval see an unscheduled "early" tune up? RRS feed

• Question

• TuneUp is pretty time consuming, so I'll often run one on a weekend - whether or not it is "scheduled".   It doesn't appear to me that OneCare knows that it doesn't need to run the next scheduled one at the appointed time.   For example, I have it set for 4 weeks.   I have a tune up "due" today, but I ran one a few days ago.   OneCare still nags me with the yellow alert unless I do another one.

Am I missing something obvious?

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 10:31 PM

Answers

• Bob, it sounds like you’ve already answered your own question by using the good old “experimental method”. Having been trained as an experimentalist, that’s exactly what I would have recommended. I’ve been thinking lately about how the tune-up could be improved, and this same idea about letting a manual scan cancel a scheduled scan came to mind. I think it’s a good idea if the leeway is kept fairly short. As far as making your life easier for now, the only thing I can suggest is that instead of running a manual tune-up, you could simply reschedule the tune-up to run a few minutes later. Then it should “remember” that it’s done its task and not bother you for another month.

GreginMich

Friday, September 19, 2008 2:06 AM

All replies

• Bob, it sounds like you’ve already answered your own question by using the good old “experimental method”. Having been trained as an experimentalist, that’s exactly what I would have recommended. I’ve been thinking lately about how the tune-up could be improved, and this same idea about letting a manual scan cancel a scheduled scan came to mind. I think it’s a good idea if the leeway is kept fairly short. As far as making your life easier for now, the only thing I can suggest is that instead of running a manual tune-up, you could simply reschedule the tune-up to run a few minutes later. Then it should “remember” that it’s done its task and not bother you for another month.

GreginMich

Friday, September 19, 2008 2:06 AM
  • Yes.. I've been trained that way myself.   I was so focused on wondering if I had just overlooked something obvious that your elegant solution never ocurred to me.  

I assumed that someone was going to tell me something like, "of course you can, just press the big green button that you didn't notice on the left side of the screen.."  or perhaps make some completely non-intuitive change to some obscure registry setting.     I like your way better!

Thanks!

Bob

Friday, September 19, 2008 7:53 AM