none
WHS Connector - "Upgrade Windows Home Server Connector" RRS feed

• Question

• This morning, for no apparent reason, the WHS connector icons on all of my client systems are red and display the message "Windows Home Server - Upgrade Windows Home Server Connector". Double-clicking on the icon brings up a dialog box stating "A newer version of Windows Home Server Connector is available. To install now, click Upgrade. You must be an administrator on this computer to upgrade."

Clicking on "Upgrade" result in an error on all of the clients. It appears to try to download the "new" connector from the server, but fails.

Thoughts?

Wednesday, January 26, 2011 10:50 AM

All replies

• If you have automatic updates enabled on your Windows Home Server then you are going to see a new update. It’s called Update Rollup 2 (UR2) and the KB article is KB981089. (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/981089)

Wednesday, January 26, 2011 11:19 AM
  • Thanks, I knew there was an update and probably should have delved deeper myself. I still can't install the new connector. Do I have to manually uninstall the old connector, and is that going to have some kind of impact on my existing back-ups?
    Wednesday, January 26, 2011 11:55 AM
  • Thanks, I knew there was an update and probably should have delved deeper myself. I still can't install the new connector. Do I have to manually uninstall the old connector, and is that going to have some kind of impact on my existing back-ups?

I have the same issue. I tried to manually install the connector from the software share but it tells me that there are processes (or programs) running that need to be stopped. I can't seem to figure out what they are.
    Wednesday, January 26, 2011 8:09 PM
  • Is this the error you are all seeing? What's the fix??

ENV
    Thursday, January 27, 2011 2:41 AM
  • That's what I am seeing. My largest concern is that getting this to install will have some kind of impact on my existing client backups. It would be great if someone could clarify this...
    Thursday, January 27, 2011 2:51 AM
  • I am seeing the exact same thing on my machines as well.  I am running WIN 7 Professional.  It all started this morning as well.  Any solutions out there?
    Thursday, January 27, 2011 2:55 AM
  • To Mike_EE and the rest having trouble with the "automatic" Connector update process:

I have been running WHS more or less successfully for over a year now.  And as far as I can remember each time a new version of the Connector software is pushed out, the built-in Connector Update Bug, whoops I mean Feature, fails to work.  I am running a variety of hardware and Windows versions, XP Pro, Windows 7 Home Edition, Win 7 Enterprise and Win 7 Professional and they each behave the same way as described by evillama .  The only way I have been able to make this work is to go to each client, manually uninstall the Connector software (via control panel, add/remove programs) then install the new Connector software found in your "Software" shared folder.  That would be \\YourServernameHere\Software\Home Server Connector Software\setup.exe.  Perform the uninstall and then run the Setup.exe on each client machine to restore a properly working WHS Connector.  This process will install the latest Connector software and all should work as it did before.  Part of the install process will be to configure backups for the client machine (on which backups have already been configured and working, so naturally you figure this will break it).  But, don't worry about running the backup configure process again; all your existing backups will be preserved.  Hope this works for you, and happy Home Servering to all.

As always, perplexed by Windows
    Thursday, January 27, 2011 6:13 AM
  • Thanks for this. I have 9 clients connected to my server (could never get a 10th to successfully add?) all of which I would have to manually upgrade.

Wish someone at MS would actually FIX this since people are reporting a problem. Is anybody from MS Development listening??

ENV
    Thursday, January 27, 2011 9:13 AM
  • I get the same error on two of my Window 7 boxes.  How do you do manually upgrade?  whats the download URL?  I don't want to install the upgrade from the files on my server, I want to download the updated connector from the internet.

This is a huge bug! automatic doesn't work.

even when I click \\SERVER\Software\Home Server Connector Software\WHSConnectorInstall.exe I get the same error.
    Thursday, January 27, 2011 2:21 PM
  • Automatic update seems to have worked for me.

WHS self-installed update 981089 at midnight and rebooted by 12:17am (see WHS System event log).

Workstations (Win 7 Enterprise and Server 2008 R2) reported this error in the Application event log starting at 12:19am:

HomeServer 1807 "Windows Home Server protocol mismatch. This computer uses protocol version 158793728, but partner computer e1a62efe-6d6c-48d2-80c3-9a6123a186f9 uses protocol version 225181696. A connection cannot be established."

Workstations then proceeded to update the connector software. This event records the completed install at 12:22am:

MsiInstaller 1042 "Ending a Windows Installer transaction: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\WHSConnector.msi. Client Process Id: 2628."

Backups ran successfully as scheduled starting at 2am.

Don't know why it sometimes fails but apparently it sometimes succeeds as well. One thing to note is that all workstations were logged off. Perhaps being logged on prevents the auto-update?

Mark Berry
    MCB Systems

Thursday, January 27, 2011 6:08 PM
  • I have been having this issue since this AM.  I noticed the WHS Tray Icon was gray, so I used remote desktop to log into the WHS and saw that the system had rebooted due to an update.  I see an update rollup has been installed but I am also seeing this error along with the failure to re-install WHS Connector on the client:

Event Type:    Warning
    Event Source:    Windows Search Service
    Event Category:    Gatherer
    Event ID:    3036
    Date:        1/27/2011
    Time:        10:55:08 AM
    User:        N/A
    Computer:    XXXXXXXXX
    Description:
    The content source <iehistory://{s-1-5-21-3353365136-2535592237-2775142569-500}/> cannot be accessed.

Context:  Application, SystemIndex Catalog

Details:
        Unspecified error
     (0x80004005)

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

AND:

Event Type:    Error
    Event Source:    Windows Search Service
    Event Category:    Gatherer
    Event ID:    3024
    Date:        1/27/2011
    Time:        10:55:08 AM
    User:        N/A
    Computer:    xxxxxxxxxx
    Description:
    The update cannot be started because the content sources cannot be accessed. Fix the errors and try the update again.

Context:  Application, SystemIndex Catalog

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

AND:

I have also received the following errors when trying to run the WHS Console both on the server and the client:

(Can't see where to include an image here, so without going through more hoops here is the text)

'The Windows Home Server Console experienced a problem with a feature during the previous attempt to open it....contact suppor t ....'

Any help resolving this would be nice...

Thursday, January 27, 2011 6:58 PM
  • I experienced a different, but I'm sure related issue with this update.  I received a error of "The cabinet file 'Sample.cab' required for this installation is corrupt and cannot be used..."  Unfortunately the original connector had been unisnstalled at this point in the upgrade process.  I then attempted to install directly from the Shared Folders.  Again the installation would not complete.  A net search indicated that this issue could be caused by a corrupt WindowsInstaller v3.1.  I downloaded this from the MS website and replaced the existing file on the server.  Same issue.  This haqppened on three different Win7 Ultimate PCs on the home network.

I then replaced the "Home Server Connector Software" folder with an older version.  The connector software would sucessfully install but now gives me an error warning about needing to update the connector software.  Clicking on the red WHS icon to update the connector software yields the "This operation cannot be completed at this time" error.  I have access to the WHS shares and the Console but no backups are being performed.

Arghh!  Do I have to reinstall WHS?

Thursday, January 27, 2011 10:28 PM
  • The error pages seems a general error page. Don't know what that means.

As far as I know there are several phases in the connector installation.

1. Copy files to client (usally the *.msi)

2. Install the service

3. Locate the server (at this phase you need input the administrator password)

4. Configure the backup and join the server.

Those information is obiviously shown during the installation. Which phase are you experienced to fail?

As my experience, usally you could manually uninstall the connector and re-install the connector either from http://yourservername:55000 or \\yourservername\software\Home Server Connector Software\Setup.exe and it should work.

Friday, January 28, 2011 6:18 AM
  • Also I found a FAQ about connector install fail

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsfaq/thread/8090e406-1079-4d6e-bb3b-ae1871d89e95

Not sure whether it helps.

Friday, January 28, 2011 6:46 AM
  • I cannot get the Windows Home Server Connector to install on my Win7-64 system. I tried the "manual install", as will as disabling the Win7's firewall (eset), disabling my router's firewall (DD-WRT), placing the server in the DMZ, but the results are always the same. I get the generic error message after locating the server and accomplishing only 0% of the download. For now, I am stuck. Rolling back the latest rollup didn't help either.

For now I am stuck.

Friday, January 28, 2011 7:16 PM
  • Add the user IIS_WPG to the Home Server WINDOWS\TEMP folder security and set to Full Control.

Worked for me!

• Proposed as answer by Vox Associates Saturday, January 29, 2011 12:34 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Mike_EE Saturday, January 29, 2011 2:07 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Vox Associates Saturday, January 29, 2011 11:26 PM
    Saturday, January 29, 2011 12:33 AM
  • OK, I have tried pretty much everything mentioned in this thread - and several others as well. My problem is that all of my clients will not run the Connector and, my server is headless. So... how do I "Add the user IIS_WPG" to the Home server's WINDOWS\TEMP?

To elaborate, a reinstall using http://servername:55000 works up to the point of configuring Backups - which fails - only options are Back and Cancel - don't have an option to ignore this and go on.

Also, I do believe that the Error Log message "Windows Home Server protocol mismatch. This computer uses protocol version 158793728, but partner computer e1a62efe-6d6c-48d2-80c3-9a6123a186f9 uses protocol version 225181696. A connection cannot be established." is the real reason why Backups cannot configure. Though I am interested to note that the client actually was running (at least as reported in the logs) the Connector while attempting to configure Backups.

Just to avoid other questions, I have normal access to the normally shared directories on the server thru Windows -- just not thru the Connector.

Saturday, January 29, 2011 5:27 AM
  • Connect to the Server with Remote Desktop Connection and explore to \Windows\Temp

Right click on the folder, select Properties, then the security tab ...

Edit permissions, Add ... type IIS_WPG into  the box ... Check names ... OK

Then set the permission to Full Control

• Proposed as answer by Vox Associates Saturday, January 29, 2011 11:27 PM
    Saturday, January 29, 2011 5:53 AM
  • None of this has worked so-far. I am reluctant to un-install the old connector until I am sure I won't "orphan" my existing backups. I wish someone from MS would provide some direction here.
    Saturday, January 29, 2011 2:07 PM
  • As stated above, I was having similar problems. I had started a separate thread for it before finding this one. See http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/e0337c7a-9d83-432e-85ea-257713ca9462 for what worked for me - first time, no problems. I am pretty sure that KB981089 caused my problems. I am certain that the reply in my other thread solved all my issues.

Mike_EE: My backups were not affected by the reinstall of Connector - they just hadn't worked while the problem was active.

When re-installing, be sure to first MANUALLY uninstall the bad Connector software from the client system. Uninstall and then make sure that the uninstall worked - I had to uninstall two times before it actually uninstalled completely. You can check the Event Logs on the Client to see that msi reports that the uninstall was completed successfully.

• Proposed as answer by HardWay Saturday, January 29, 2011 5:18 PM
    Saturday, January 29, 2011 5:17 PM
  • OK, I found an article that suggests that this isn't the only problem with 981089. The article also goes on to outline how to remove 981089 from your system.

http://www.homeserverland.com/2011/01/update-rollup-2-kb981089-breaks-whs-outlook-whs-quicken-whs-quickbooks-add-ins/

I am going to give this a try and see what happens...

EDIT: It worked!  I rolled-back the update, turned automatic updates off (where I should have had it in the first place for this very reason) and rebooted the clients. All clients are "green" again and "Backup Now..." is selectable.

Now...how do we find out when this has been fixed?!

Saturday, January 29, 2011 6:20 PM
  • Now all that needs to happen is to remove the client update notice from machines that FAILED the update.

Re-installing the connector from the server FAILS.

So, if you remove if from your machine, and try to install it from your WHS machine - FAIL.

I have one machine that failed the update. It's stuck recommending the update. It won't backup, but, I can remote login.

Go figure.....

Sunday, January 30, 2011 12:08 AM
  • Bless you Vox Associates - that fixed my issue that I've been working on for 4 days now.  Thanks a ton.

Sunday, January 30, 2011 3:47 AM
  • For me, and probably for most, uninistalling the update is not necessary. See http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/e0337c7a-9d83-432e-85ea-257713ca9462 for most of the answer. In my case, I FIRST

"Added the user IIS_WPG to the Home Server WINDOWS\TEMP folder security and set to Full Control." as suggested above.

I then found the proper (associated with the update- dated January 2011) files in the server's C:\WHS folder.

I copied the files from there to the server's "\Software\Home Server Connector Software" folder.

I MANUALLY uninstalled the Connector from one client and reinstalled it using WHSConnector.msi.

The install ran clean, including the "Configuring Backups" portion (which is where all my other attempt had died). 

The connector came up and ran as normal - complaining about missed backups - missed while I chasing this problem.

I then visited my other client machines, expecting to have to go thru the drill for each one. Not necessary. By the time I got to them they had already sensed the need to update, and had done so - all working correctly.

It is vital that you copy the 3 .msi files from C:\WHS to \Software... That is where \\servername:55000 expects to find them. Instead, it was finding the old .msi files causing a protocol mismatch error once they were installed over whatever you had running on the client - probably the same version as the old software in \Software... which was also getting a protocol error and not running.

From other threads it seems likely that setting the permission on the server's C:\Windows\Temp is a vital first step. The fact that user IIS_WPG could not access C:\Windows\Temp is probably the issue which stopped the original install from completing - and not copying the Connector msi files to where they really needed to go.

Sunday, January 30, 2011 3:49 AM
  • Based on information in this thread I copied on the server the files

C:\WHS\WHSConnector.msi (10 jan 2011)

and

C:\WHS\WHSConnector_x64.msi (10 jan 2011)

to my

D:\shares\Software\Server\Home Server Connector Software folder. This overwrites the older files.

On one client I browsed to  this folder on the server and started setup.  This removed the old connector software and installed the new version.

On another client I could not access the Connector Software folder. So I used the first client to copy the complete content of the software folder on a USB drive. I used the USB drive in the other clients started the setup from USB.

Many Thanks all and good luck

Sunday, January 30, 2011 11:08 AM
  • Vox Associates' solution works for me, thanks a bunch!
    Sunday, January 30, 2011 5:08 PM
  • Okay - WHS was working great for me as well until the dreaded update.

I added the user IIS_WPG to WINDOWS\TEMP.

I ensured I was using the files from 1/10/11 for whs connector install.

I made sure to manually uninstall WHS socket on my clients (all Windows 7 machines, 32 and 64 bit).

I went to install, I get as far as entering the password, I enter the password and the buck stops there.  Still hunting the forums, but if anyone knows how I am being stupid I would greatly appreciate it.

thanks

-melluap
    Sunday, January 30, 2011 11:45 PM
  • WHS socket? What you should have done was Control Panel-> Programs and Features->Select Windows Home Server Connector and uninstall it. If that is what you did, then I don't know why you are having problems.

If that is NOT what you did, but instead removed something else, then WHAT did you remove?

After a correct installation of WHSConnector, it should list in the "Programs and Features" as Version 6.0.3436.0. Prior to uninstalling the previous version, it would be at a different version.

Just a thought -- if you have 9 clients, why not complete the process on 1 of them before doing anything on the other 8?

Monday, January 31, 2011 2:14 AM
  • I tried everything suggested in this posted with no success.  Then I just copied and pasted the Home Server Connector folder from the server to each of my other desktops.  I ran the setup from the folder on each desktop.  And everything ran and installed as needed.
    Monday, January 31, 2011 3:54 PM
  • Is this the error you are all seeing? What's the fix??

ENV
    Has a fix been released yet? I'm still having this error, despite trying the things suggested in this topic.
    Thursday, February 3, 2011 11:37 AM
  • I experienced the same issue after the 1/26/11 update.  My WHS would not work with all of the computers on my home network.  After applying all of the fixes found on the internet, I could not reinstall the Connector.  I disconnected my modem and successfully installed the Connector.  As soon as I reconnected the modem to the internet, the Connector could not be accessed.  That meant the problem was with the internet connection so I reconnected my modem, opened my Vipre history file,  and watched as I ran the Connector setup.  The installation proceeded to the point of discovering the WHS and the "discovery.exe" was repeatedly "blocked" before the error message appeared on the screen to try later.

Part of the installation of the Connector is a search with a file "discovery.exe"  that was being blocked by my Vipre firewall.  Adding "discovery.exe" to my firewall Exceptions list solved the problem. 

I am posting this just in case this "discovery.exe" block might help others.

Thursday, February 3, 2011 9:46 PM
  • Hello all,

I had the same problem as the rest.  Uninstalled Connector on my x64 win7 desktop, and ran setup.exe from my home server's software directory.  My problem is occurring during authentication -- the server doesn't accept my password.  I tried several times to ensure it wasn't just a mistyped password, and logged in using remote desktop to prove the password is still valid.

I googled this issue and got, essentially, nothing.  Has anyone here seen this or have any troubleshooting ideas?

Here is the pcdiscovery.log, which shows two errors.  I'm assuming the mWinMain error is a red herring since following actions are successful.

[2/3/2011 9:35:43 PM  5fc] ERROR: wWinMain failed, HR=0x80070002 (at func: RegDeleteValue, d:\wssg_src\whs_pp3\qhs\src\client\discovery\main.cpp (170)

[2/3/2011 9:35:43 PM  5fc] m_PartnerManager.CoCreateInstance.

[2/3/2011 9:35:43 PM  5fc] Calling m_PartnerManager.StopServerDiscovery.

[2/3/2011 9:35:43 PM  5fc] m_PartnerManager.StopServerDiscovery returns 0x8000FFFF.

[2/3/2011 9:35:43 PM  5fc] Calling m_PartnerManager.StartServerDiscovery.

[2/3/2011 9:35:43 PM  5fc] m_PartnerManager.StartServerDiscovery returns 0x0.

[2/3/2011 9:35:48 PM  5fc] OnSetCurrentServer Server: DUMP

[2/3/2011 9:35:48 PM  5fc] OnSetCurrentServer UPNP IP Address: 192.168.1.104

IP address match = trueUpdateHostsFile::hosts file update is not recommended

[2/3/2011 9:35:48 PM  5fc] Calling m_PartnerManager.CheckServer, serverName=DUMP, manual=0.

[2/3/2011 9:35:50 PM  5fc] m_PartnerManager.CheckServer returns 0x0.

[2/3/2011 9:35:54 PM  5fc] Calling m_PartnerManager.GetPasswordHint.

[2/3/2011 9:35:54 PM  5fc] m_PartnerManager.GetPasswordHint returns 0x0.

[2/3/2011 9:36:04 PM  5fc] Calling m_PartnerManager.GetServerDetails.

[2/3/2011 9:36:04 PM  5fc] m_PartnerManager.GetServerDetails returns 0x0.

[2/3/2011 9:36:04 PM  5fc] WARN : JoinServer - admin name is Administrator.

[2/3/2011 9:36:04 PM  5fc] Calling m_PartnerManager.JoinServer, serverName=DUMP, manual=0.

[2/3/2011 9:36:04 PM  5fc] m_PartnerManager.JoinServer returns 0x80072EFD.

[2/3/2011 9:36:04 PM  5fc] ERROR: m_PartnerManager.JoinServer returns 0x80072EFD.

[2/3/2011 9:36:32 PM  5fc] Cancel discovery confirmed

[2/3/2011 9:36:32 PM  5fc] CUIBC::SendCommandInternal: sending command: t  

[2/3/2011 9:36:32 PM  5fc] CUIBC::SendCommandInternal: send hr=0x80004004, cbResponse=0

[2/3/2011 9:36:32 PM  5fc] ERROR: CUIBC::SendCommandInternal:  failure 0x80004004

[2/3/2011 9:36:32 PM  5fc] ERROR: hr=0x80004004 (at func: StandAloneDiscovery::OnQueryCancel, d:\wssg_src\whs_pp3\qhs\src\client\discovery\standalonediscovery.cpp (195)) backendClient.AbortOobe() 0

Thanks for any ideas,

Phill

Friday, February 4, 2011 7:14 AM
  • Phil

While I don't have a solution for you, I can verify that I am seeing the exact same symptom as well.  So far no solutions have worked on this forum, including removing the offending upgrade.  I imagine I am going to be forced into a clean install and not install the update.  I will let you know if I can figure a solution out prior to that.

-melluap
    Friday, February 4, 2011 4:09 PM
  • Hi phill & melluap,

I had the same: the connector setup not accepting my password during install. And i managed to fix it after alot of looking. I have described how here:
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/52185107-fbe3-4f62-b02d-feb336283864/#282ae6b5-1bbd-4d72-adae-1d006d46e09d

If you're having trouble finding it let me know and I'll post more detailed steps.

Saturday, February 5, 2011 12:39 AM
  • Thank you TommyDJ!  For others on this thread I'm copying the solution here:

"I fixed it! I looked in the event viewer and kept seeing a DCOM error message at the time I wanted to login. The CLSID pointed me to the WHSTransportService in Component Services. I added the user 'IUSR_myserver' to the security list and now it works!"

I am trying to do this but component services is uncharted territory for me.  I tried following instructions I found here

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc755073.aspx

But IUSR_myserver is not recognized.  Do I have to do this on the server using remote desktop?  I'm trying to do it from my windows 7 client.

Thanks again,

Phill

• Edited by phastphill Saturday, February 5, 2011 5:21 AM formatting
    Saturday, February 5, 2011 5:19 AM
  • Yes, this needs to be done on the server, not on the client. Through remote desktop for example. Here are some more detailed steps:

1. Go to Start -> All Programs -> Administrative Tools -> Component Services.
    2. Find 'WHSTransportService' under Console Root/Component Services/Computers/My Computer/DCOM Config
    3. Right click -> Properties. Go to security tab.
    4. Under 'Launch and activation permissions press 'Customise' and click the Edit button
    5. Click on 'add', and in the screen that pops up type in the box: IUSR_<your server name here>
    6. Click 'check names' and see the text you just entered change in something like '<your server name here>\IUSR_<your server name here>'
    7. Press OK and check whether or not the user you just added is showing in the list. Now give this user full control.
    8. Try entering the password again, it should work now.
    If it doesn't you can try doing the above for 'Access Permissions' and 'Configuration Permissions' (in step 3) also.

I hope you get it to work now.

Saturday, February 5, 2011 5:54 AM
  • TommyDJ,

Thanks for all the info.  Man I wish I understood the update more... unfortunately adding the IUSR account didn't fix my problem... this may be the excuse to try VAIL - though this connector error is something I am starting to take personally.

Curious if it works for you Phill - I'll update the forum if I figure anything else out.

-melluap
    Saturday, February 5, 2011 1:54 PM
  • TommyDJ,

Thanks for all the info.  Man I wish I understood the update more... unfortunately adding the IUSR account didn't fix my problem... this may be the excuse to try VAIL - though this connector error is something I am starting to take personally.

Curious if it works for you Phill - I'll update the forum if I figure anything else out.

-melluap

I still have the same problem even after using every step advised above and in the above linked forums and posts.  I have the client uninstalled from a Win7 64 bit PC, but I can not re-install.  It gets to the point of asking for the WHS password, I enter that correctly and then it says

Sunday, February 6, 2011 10:30 PM
  • On my server I noticed that navigating to http://servername:55000 and clicking the "Download Now" link under the Windows Home Server Connector Setup option resulted in a permissions error.  Looking at the URL it was pointing to /Setup/WHSConnectorInstall.exe.

So I opened IIS on the WHS machine, expanded the WHS site, and looked at the properties of the virtual directory called "Setup" (right-click, properties, then go to the Virtual Directory tab).  On my server that directory actually points to "D:\Shares\Software\Home Server Connector Software"

Since the error is a permissions error, and I know IIS uses the security context of the user on the "Directory Security" tab, I went there, then clicked "Edit" under the "Authentication and access control" heading to discover that on my WHS machine the username it was using is: "IUSR_HPSTORAGE".  I hit Cancel to make sure I didn't accidentally change that user. 

I then cancelled out of all the dialogs, navigated to the D:\Shares\Software folder, and then granted the IUSR_HPSTORAGE user read and execute permissions to the "Home Server COnnector Software" sub-folder. 

As soon as that was done - problem solved.  The Connector can now be installed from EITHER the update message or the http://servername:55000 URL.

Darren
    Sunday, February 6, 2011 10:57 PM
  • TommyDJ,

Wow, thanks for the detailed instructions.  My feeble first attempt was wrong in too many ways to count.  To be fair, this strikes me as serious sysadmin stuff, and Thar Be Monsters as far as I'm concerned.

Anyhow, I followed your instructions and at step 6 WHS was unable to resolve the user name.  My server is called DUMP and I tried IUSR_DUMP and DUMP\IUSR_DUMP.  Neither worked.

I'm going to try Darren Myher's trick next.  Thanks again for all the guidance.

Phill

Tuesday, February 8, 2011 5:46 AM
  • Hi Darren,

Awesome catch -- IUSR_HPSTORAGE.  I have a MediaSmart too so the user resolved for me.

Unfortunately, after giving that user full permissions on the Home Server ConnectorSoftware folder and all aspects of the WHS Transport Service, I'm still erroring out on the password.

At this point, I'm inclined to create a scheduled windows task that copies my crap onto the server and forget about connector on this machine.  The update worked fine on my other two Win7 boxes.

When stuff like this happens, it's no wonder WHS adoption rates have been so low.

-Phill

Tuesday, February 8, 2011 6:04 AM
  • Phill / TommyDJ,

After setups / installs I narrowed it down to, and I have one error outstanding.  ASP.NET

Phill, when you got to http://<your server> can you see the website (don't port forward)?  I have a permission error on ASP.NET.

It seems others have had this as well, check your event viewer.  I am a linux guy and have a bit of a learning curve on this.  I believe the security update screwed with a bunch of permissions, and I am now limited to just having the website with the associated web permissions fail on me.

Not sure what the fix is yet, I am looking.  Hoping others have this problem and/or know a fix.

Paul

-melluap
    Friday, February 11, 2011 5:16 AM
  • FWIW, we had a similar issue, my Win 7 32bit and my partner's Win 7 64 bit, HP Mediaserver.

We navigated to the "\\<server-name>\Software\Home Server Connector Software" folder and executed the 10/09 setup.exe straight out of the directory.

It correctly identified that an update was needed, uninstalled the current connector and installed the update.

We didn't change permissions anywhere. Hope that helps someone.

Very annoying - ditto the remark about WHS having limited adoption. One wonders how this passed QC.

• Proposed as answer by steinercat Tuesday, February 15, 2011 8:56 AM
    Monday, February 14, 2011 1:13 AM
  • I'm having a connector problem but it seems to be unlike anything I've seen in this thread.  I have read the entire thread, though, and verified that none of the solutions described have any bearing on my problem.

I've been running WHS for several years now with up to 9 computers backed up daily.  Right now there are 7, including 1 Win XP Home, 2 Win XP Pro, 3 Win7 Pro 64-bit and 1 W2k3 server.  This last update from January updated all the machines but one flawlessly and there were no service interruptions.  The one update that didn't complete successfully was on one of the W7-64 machines. 

At first it complained about being able to install the connector upgrade, though the uninstall of the old connector software (apparently) went smoothly.  At least there were no indicators otherwise.  I ran the connector installer manually from the \\Server\Software\Home Server Connector directory, and each time it would say that connector was already installed, but it would remove and continue.  But shortly after that it says 'removing backup files' and quits.  Nothing is installed.

The W7 uninstallation program and two other uninstall programs don't show connector as being installed, yet every time the installation is run, it says a previous version exists.  I manually removed all traces of directories related to the connector software, in \Program Files (x86), \Program Files, \ProgramData, and in ...\AppData\roaming.  Also the directory ending in D5 in \Windows\Installer.  Cleaned the registry with CC and RegMechanic, rebooted.  Makes no difference.  The connector install program still claims an old version is installed.  When it is done, no new directories are created except in \ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Home Server which contains the log files and a WHSConnector.msi program.  In the HomeServerClientSetup.log the only thing that catches my attention (ie that I recognize) is the exit error of 1605 from MSI Uninstaller.  After that, the log shows all the intermediate files being deleted, and it exits.

This machine has been on the WHS server (as XP, Vista 64 and now W7) for as long as I've had the server with no problems until now.  I don't really think this issue is related to the update, but something that has happened locally on this machine.

Anyone with ideas about how to check for why connector installation still thinks a version is installed, and how to clear it?

--Bill

Monday, February 14, 2011 9:44 AM
  • FWIW, we had a similar issue, my Win 7 32bit and my partner's Win 7 64 bit, HP Mediaserver.

We navigated to the "\\<server-name>\Software\Home Server Connector Software" folder and executed the 10/09 setup.exe straight out of the directory.

It correctly identified that an update was needed, uninstalled the current connector and installed the update.

We didn't change permissions anywhere. Hope that helps someone.

Very annoying - ditto the remark about WHS having limited adoption. One wonders how this passed QC.

This is the only solution that worked for me.

Looking forward to WHS 2011 and some add-in like StableBit DrivePool to work. :)
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 8:58 AM
  • I tried everything suggested in this posted with no success.  Then I just copied and pasted the Home Server Connector folder from the server to each of my other desktops.  I ran the setup from the folder on each desktop.  And everything ran and installed as needed.

Hi, I did this too, although I was able to find the current connector release in the temp directory on the server and use that instead of the one on the software directory that was from last year, copied to a thumb drive and upgraded on my clients - worked well for 32bit computer but I still couldnt get it to upgrade/install on a 64bit new 7 install - that may be a different problem.

Also recently I couldn't get it to install from  http://yourservername:55000 - in fact I get a certificate issue on any computer when I try to download from here - 403 error - ?linked issue.

Sunday, February 20, 2011 2:32 AM
  • I have been attempting to figure this issue out for a few days now and finally seem to have a solution(s).

Although some of you have experienced flawless updating and no interruption of service, there have been many who are completely shut out of the backup service (which in my case is the #1 reason for using WHS in my home).

After updating the Connector software, uninstalling the connector - reboot and reinstall connector software, installing via port 55000, installing via share folder, etc., etc., etc., what seems to have done the trick has everything to do with permissions on the c:\Windows\Temp folder on WHS.

Yes, I added the IIS_WPG group and provided full access, but that did not do the trick. In addition to the IIS_WPG permissions I also granted Read and Write access to the Network Service group (which existed in the folder but only had special permissions granted).

After changing this permission and rebooting the server, reinstalling the Connector, my manual backup appears to be running smoothly (over 76% as I write this).

If this goes smoothly, I will wait a couple days to ensure that the overnight backups are continuing to operate as expected.

"knock on wood" this can help anyone else who may be experiencing these issues.

UPDATE:
    This process did work for one of my machines but I have been unable to reproduce a successful backup on any other machine.

I have updated all network drivers, reinstalled the connector software and as soon as the process hits "sending data to server" (usually around 35%), the backup hangs and does not finish.  I left it overnight with no change.

If I cannot get this to work on all my machines prior to the update, I will have to try another backup solution - something I really do not want to have to do.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

• Edited by PatriotMB Friday, March 4, 2011 4:36 PM update
    Thursday, March 3, 2011 6:27 PM
  • I have 3 different computers all running Win7 x64 that were running WHS connector fine before the latest update.  After the update I was unable to install the connector on any of the computers.  Spent several hours, tried all of the above "fixes" as well as several others from elsewhere, but kept getting stupid "Unknown Network Error" after I entered in my password.  This is how I fixed it:

1. Copy all connector files from server to the client

2. Unplug network cable (or turn off Wifi) on client

3. Install software

4. It will tell you that it can't find your home server and allows you too search manually

5. Select the option to find manually

6. Enter IP address of the server (ideally name should've worked but it didn't work for me even though I can ping server from client by name)

7. It will find the server, join, and configure backup

8. Done!

Hope that this helps someone else fighting the same issue.

Friday, March 18, 2011 6:19 AM
  • I have a slightly different issue. Just today I was prompted to update my connector software. I start the process and get the following error:

An Error Occurred. The Downloaded Files may contain a virus.

The publisher of at least one of the downloaded files is not trusted. The files could potentially contain a virus. If you want to continue the installation anyways, click Next.

How can the publisher not be trusted?

Any ideas?

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 1:30 AM
  • Hi Phil,

For no reason - my WHS started failing on one machine and gave me a similar error log.  The machine that failed for me was a remote machine - and the external machine name didn't match the internal name (I'm lazy, but no idea why it worked before and just stopped working.)  So I added an entry in the failing client HOSTS file (c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts) with the internal name (and ip) of the WHS server - and did a manual discovery using this internal name.   That fixed it for me.

Regards,

John

Sunday, June 17, 2012 10:05 PM