drive D unmounted files not there can it be repaired? RRS feed

• Question

• i had a 3 yr old open the easy home acer computer has 4 drive bays, when he did that while it was on andstuff i thought things were fine also  2 of hte hard drives are linked in there raid option so first it was a couple folders out of the shares that went but he had done it again  pulled the drives that linked now i dont have a drive D  the Sys one with all the shares

now in the computer manage ment the 2 drives are full or partially on the one and full on other,  is there a way to remount to repair it so they are back to normally i never touched it yet in case there is a way to fix this problem.  will even using partition magic 8 fix this problem?

Saturday, January 2, 2010 7:07 PM

Answers

• Hi,
    check the FAQ How to recover data after server failure.
    Btw. the Acer Home Server model you seem to refer to can still not be 3 years old, if I am correct these have been introduced last year.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, January 2, 2010 7:21 PM
  • ya i know i like to know i read it but it dosesnt say anything about when the 2 drives that are linked together in the home server raid

There is no RAID on WHS.  Each drive is independent of each other when removed from the server and viewed from a client.

how do  give it a drive letter and if its safe to  not to loose the data.

They should automatically get a drive letter since the drives already have data on it.

as the 2 drives were drive D:  from the boot up drive and the 2nd hd i added 

Saturday, January 2, 2010 9:09 PM
  • In D:\shares are only tombstones (a kind of shortcuts) stored, which are used to redirect network accesses to the real location of the files (which can be on one of multiple disks in the storage pool).
    And this real location is always in a subfolder of DE\shares.
    Olaf
    Monday, January 4, 2010 9:02 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    Btw. the Acer Home Server model you seem to refer to can still not be 3 years old, if I am correct these have been introduced last year.
    Olaf
    Saturday, January 2, 2010 7:21 PM
  • Hi,
    Olaf
    Actually Olaf, he meant he has a 3-year-old child.  :)

Comet424, one suggestion:  considering this is apparently the second time that he/she has done that in a week (first time it happened you posted your problem here), I would strongly recommend you move your server to a location that is less accessible.
    Saturday, January 2, 2010 8:47 PM
  • ya i know i like to know i read it but it dosesnt say anything about when the 2 drives that are linked together in the home server raid
    how do  give it a drive letter and if its safe to  not to loose the data. as the 2 drives were drive D:  from the boot up drive and the 2nd hd i added 
    Saturday, January 2, 2010 9:01 PM

There is no RAID on WHS.  Each drive is independent of each other when removed from the server and viewed from a client.

how do  give it a drive letter and if its safe to  not to loose the data.

They should automatically get a drive letter since the drives already have data on it.

as the 2 drives were drive D:  from the boot up drive and the 2nd hd i added 

Saturday, January 2, 2010 9:09 PM
  • oh ok  so no lost the drive letters  and cuz in the console software u can increase the diskspace of the drive  so i had like 1 drive letter
    so how does that work
    so then my data isnt lost? as i put the 1Tb and the 1.5TB and linked them together to make a 2.5TB drive size  well whatever the partion of the D: is from the 1 TB drive
    Saturday, January 2, 2010 11:09 PM
  • oh ok  so no lost the drive letters  and cuz in the console software u can increase the diskspace of the drive  so i had like 1 drive letter
    so how does that work

The secondary drives (which is every drive other than the drive with the OS on it) are volume mount points, combined to look like one big drive.  But they are still individual drives.

so then my data isnt lost?

That depends on what the server was doing when your child pulled the drives.  It's probably ok, but you need to follow Olaf's post to find out.

as i put the 1Tb and the 1.5TB and linked them together to make a 2.5TB drive size  well whatever the partion of the D: is from the 1 TB drive

Sunday, January 3, 2010 1:18 AM
  • ok i was able to get the drives back and the files but all the videos and pictures are there but they are not accessable  ____   what can i do to make them accessable the pictures have size yet nothing to view

and the videos  cant play at all is there a fix for it  all i did was mount the drives after too gave them a drive letter
    Monday, January 4, 2010 1:03 AM
  • ok i was able to get the drives back and the files but all the videos and pictures are there but they are not accessable  ____   what can i do to make them accessable the pictures have size yet nothing to view

and the videos  cant play at all is there a fix for it  all i did was mount the drives after too gave them a drive letter
    Are you trying to copy from x:\DE\shares or x:\shares (where x is the drive letter assigned to that drive)?  You need to copy from x:\DE\shares (not the other one).  If you are and it still isn't working, you might need to take ownership of those folders and files.
    Monday, January 4, 2010 4:02 AM
  • i was doing both  cuz when i was doing the share folder it wouldnt even copy  whats the reason it doesnt copy or files seem corrupt?  cuz the main drive that has c and d  i ciant access the files in its share folder properly    is this cuz i linked the drive letters together 
    Monday, January 4, 2010 8:36 AM
  • In D:\shares are only tombstones (a kind of shortcuts) stored, which are used to redirect network accesses to the real location of the files (which can be on one of multiple disks in the storage pool).
    And this real location is always in a subfolder of DE\shares.
    Olaf
    Monday, January 4, 2010 9:02 AM
  • and what if those things in DE (the hidden file) are not there? i have a similar problem. when i pulled the drives and put them in a different computer they show up as unallocated!? and i cant read the data i know is on them. can someone please explain the partitioning system that whs uses in detail cause i just dont seem to get it. if i have a c partition but no d then all data is gone to me?
    Monday, January 4, 2010 5:27 PM
  • Hi,
    the DE folder is a hidden folder, which is only visible, if you toggled the appropriate folder option in Windows Explorer.
    Also while the DE folder may appear on each DATA volume, this does not mean, the data from shared folders is on each of them. It can only be found on one or, with duplication for selected shared folders enabled on two disks in the home server - usually in a server with 3 or more disks not on drive D:.
    The file system is normal NTFS, just as on your XP boxes. So if a disk cannot be read in a system with Windows XP, Vista or Windows 7, it may be seriously broken.
    If you had folder duplication not enabled, did not use the backup facilities of Windows Home Server to backup the content of shared folders to external drives (or any other method) and the disk holding the data is broken/cannot be read (or you used unsupported RAID facilities on your home server, which failed) also by any recovery tools, your data may still be lost. In this case you only moved from a single point of failure to another.
    If you have a PC with Vista or Windows 7 try to read/fix the drive here, since these operating systems and their chkdsk can handle broken file systems better than XP or Server 2003. If this does not help either, you may need 3rd party disk recovery tools.
    Olaf
    Monday, January 4, 2010 7:47 PM
  • ok ill try that  and if that doesnt all work what 3rd party software is out there?
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 1:27 PM
  • If you use an Internet Search engine, you will find a lot of hits for disk recovery freeware.
    Since I had not to use such much in practice and it also depends from the OS you are running on the client, which product really runs on it, I do not make a recommendation for a certain product.
    Olaf
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 8:40 PM