Back Up stops seeing external drive RRS feed

• Question

• For two weeks now "Who Cares",  oops, One Care suddenly can't find its own backup files.  It's on an external HD that still has 261g open, so apparently I'm not out of space.  I am still able to access files on the drive and can frag files to it.  I have tried to re-point the back to that drive in the settings window even though it says that's where it saves to (drive only, not folder)
    Monday, November 24, 2008 4:31 AM

Answers

• That is quite strange. Pointing to the drive itself would be the correct configuration as OneCare creates the folder and protects that folder. It is possible that the permissions have gotten out of whack.

If I were in your shoes I would consider wiping the old backup and the resetting backup:

FAQ: How to Delete Backups

FAQ: How to rest backup plan settings (single PC)

Of course, you may also wish to contact support for other options and investigation.

-steve

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 1:34 PM

All replies

• Is the drive connected locally? If so, is the drive letter for the device the same in Windows Explorer as shown in your backup config?

You may want to contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, November 24, 2008 4:42 PM
  • Drive letters are the same.  The only thing bothering me in that respect is thay when I try to point One Care directly to the One Care Backup folder I can only take it as far as the drive itself.
    I have been using the same external drive for a few months now and have had no access problems.  And, of course, being a function that works silently I've never been concerned with it and have therefore done no adjustments.
    Monday, November 24, 2008 9:39 PM
  • That is quite strange. Pointing to the drive itself would be the correct configuration as OneCare creates the folder and protects that folder. It is possible that the permissions have gotten out of whack.

If I were in your shoes I would consider wiping the old backup and the resetting backup:

FAQ: How to Delete Backups

FAQ: How to rest backup plan settings (single PC)

Of course, you may also wish to contact support for other options and investigation.

-steve

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 1:34 PM
  • It seems I also failed to mention that this external is used in the household network.  Two desk and a laptop so it would be quite a bit more than just deleting and resetting my own back-ups.  Somehow I get the feeling that I need to consult "support".
    Tuesday, November 25, 2008 9:52 PM
  • If this drive is connected externally to your PC as the Hub PC in a Circle and is being used for Centralized Backup, I would recommend going to support before taking the delete/recreate plunge.

Are the other PCs having problems backing up to the drive, too, or just the Hub itself?

-steve

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 2:05 PM
  • Interesting question I hadn't thought to check but the answer is all units are not backing up.  Yesdterday I tried a full backup to the other partitioned drive on the external and got the same response (can not see device).
    I now have an email into support and will have to wait the obligatory 24 hours to infinity for a response.  I'm fearful the response from them is going to be typical uninstall - reinstall and start all over.  Might fix it but won't solve the why it happened.
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 5:11 PM
  • I suspect that none of them could back up. Basically, you have changed the backup destination since the PC and OneCare that hosted the Shared external drive were reinstalled.

I think I would await a response from support, but if the suggestion is to reinstall, don't.

Simply reset your backup settings completely. First disable backup for all PCs, then let it create a new backup in the same location when you create your "new" Centralized Backup plan, using the same drive. It will not touch the old backups, nor can it add to them. Once you've created the new plan, go ahead and restore from the backup and delete the old ones as desired.

-steve

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 6:06 PM
  • This woked for me.

GWR

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 10:12 PM