none
70-686 SOHO Requirements RRS feed

• Question

• I got through the 70-680 using Win7 Ent VM's.  In reading at the requirements, it looks like that won't be an option if I want to pass the 70-686.  As someone who knows only a minimal/moderate amount where networking is concerned, what exactly are the SOHO requirements in terms of hardware and familiarity I will need to have in order to complete the hands on training portion of the MS Press Book for 70-686 (i.e. DC, working knowledge of AD, DNS, etc.)?  Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 10:52 PM

Answers

• Dear nspierson,

I do not agree with this statement of Dimitri C.

There is no need of hardware familiarity or familiarity with AD,DNS,...

Exam 70-686: Pro: Windows 7, Enterprise Desktop Administrator is a 300 Level Exam and you must have a good understanding of TCP/IP and networking concepts and familiarity with Windows and Active Directory. For example, domain user accounts, domain vs. local user accounts, user profiles, and group membership.

Yes, you are right on the Hardware Requirements mentioned in the preface of the Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-686).

Deploying Windows 7 by Using Windows Deployment Services, which requires Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2008 R2, skills are likely to be measured in the exam and that's why Hardware Requirements in the preface of the Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-686) mentions it.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions in this regard.

Towards your success.

Shyam Singh
    MCTS

Please mark answered if I've answered your question and vote for it as helpful to help other users find a solution quicker

• Marked as answer by nspierson Thursday, February 23, 2012 1:27 AM
    Tuesday, February 21, 2012 8:59 PM

All replies

• You can check the requirements here: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?id=70-686#tab2

Topics covered (more detail via the url above):

• Planning and Managing a Client Life Cycle Strategy
    • Designing a Standard Image
    • Designing Client Configurations
    • Designing a Windows 7 Client Deployment
    • Designing Application Packages for Deployment
    • Identifying and Resolving Deployment and Client Configuration Issues

If there is some knowledge about DNS or AD or any other network related technology, I think these topics will also be explained in the book (if not, there is always wikipedia :) ) Usually these certification exams are well defined and linked to a certain subject.

Dimitri C. - Please mark the replies as answers if they help! Thanks.

Thursday, February 16, 2012 7:09 AM
  • Thanks Dimitri!

Greatly apprecaite you taking time to respond.  I read the listed requirements at http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?id=70-686#tab2 prior to posting.  My question is based more so on the MS Press Book.  Via amazon.com I was able to have a look at the preface, which mentions the the following under "Hardware Requirements":

"For some chapters, your workstation must have access to an Active Directory Domain Services network.  Chapter 10, "Using Application Deployment Tools," requires access to a computer running Windows Server 2008 R2".

Can you elaborate as to this requirement?

Best Regards

(I will mark your reply as answered as requested once it is received)

Monday, February 20, 2012 3:30 PM
  • Dear nspierson,

I do not agree with this statement of Dimitri C.

Exam 70-686: Pro: Windows 7, Enterprise Desktop Administrator is a 300 Level Exam and you must have a good understanding of TCP/IP and networking concepts and familiarity with Windows and Active Directory. For example, domain user accounts, domain vs. local user accounts, user profiles, and group membership.

Yes, you are right on the Hardware Requirements mentioned in the preface of the Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-686).

Deploying Windows 7 by Using Windows Deployment Services, which requires Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2008 R2, skills are likely to be measured in the exam and that's why Hardware Requirements in the preface of the Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-686) mentions it.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions in this regard.

Towards your success.

Shyam Singh
    MCTS

Please mark answered if I've answered your question and vote for it as helpful to help other users find a solution quicker

• Marked as answer by nspierson Thursday, February 23, 2012 1:27 AM
    Tuesday, February 21, 2012 8:59 PM
  • Shyam,

I'm somewhat familiar with Active Directory in terms of OU's, DN's, etc. but I wouldn't know where to begin configuring this in my SOHO network.  Same is true where configuring DNS is concerned.  I'm going to assume that the MS Press book doesn't mention how to configure this up front so I'll need to either forego the full MCITP certification (and just settle for my 70-680 MCTS) or better familiarize myself with these concepts prior to working toward the certification.  Either way, your answer was basically what I was looking for.

Thanks!

Nick

Thursday, February 23, 2012 1:27 AM