Live OneCare Backup Restore Tool Fails To Launch After Installed

• I backed up files to an external hard drive with Windows Live OneCare before the hard drive was rebuilt. Windows Live OneCare is no longer available, so I downloaded and installed the Windows Live OneCare Backup Restore Tool Ok from to retreive those files, but it fails to run when selected from the All Programs menu. Is this the correct version for Vista or is there another version I should be using? I have alot of files backed up on the external hard drive and am trying to avoid extracting all 658 files manually. Any help would be appreceiated. Thanks

Saturday, December 10, 2011 10:26 PM

All replies

• I have exactly the same issue. I'm trying to get the OneCare Restore Tool to work, but it won't run on my Win7-based HP laptop. I keep getting an error message that says "Restore cannot continue. Please restart your machine and try again. If the problem continue to persist, contact support."

I'm simply trying to restore some files that were backed up using OneCare back before this product/service was discontinued. I tried to first run the OneCare CleanUp Tool first, and then installed the Restore Tool, but can't seem to get it to work. I also tried running this as an administrator, and get the same message. Is there no way to make this work?

Saturday, December 17, 2011 11:54 PM
  • Same exact problem, HELP!   I uninstalled everything I could find related to OneCare.  I then ran the recommended "cleanup" tool.  I then took down my firewall (MSE) and got a fresh download of the Live OnceCare Backup Restore Tool.  I installed the tool and it doesn't work.  I get a yellow error about "Restore cannot start"  "Restore cannot continue.  Please restart your machine and try again.  If the problem presists, contact support".  I'm running Vista.  I run all the above as "Administrator".  Can someone plz help? ? ?!!   I've got GB's worth of data I need back........      Thank YOU

Thursday, February 09, 2012 5:06 AM
  • Yes I am in the same boat as the above. Microsoft seems to have decided that people who use it's applications are only valued customers for a short lifetime and then it is just tough luck. I have lots of valued images and documents that I can no longer access because of this. It really is time that microsoft came up with an answer.
    Thursday, December 13, 2012 2:39 PM