none
4K Advanced Sector Drives? WD20EARS RRS feed

• Question

• I currently have five 1TB WD Caviar Black drives in my WHS (I know, waste of energy, performance, I wasn't thinking at the time). Well, I'm looking to pull four 1TB drives out, leave the system drive in there, and replace those four 1TB drives with three 2TB drives. This will leave me room for adding another drive down the road, which I like.

I am debating between the Western Digital WD20EARS or the Samsung EcoGreen HD203WI. I can get either for ~$110 at the moment. The WD is a 4K sector drive. Does WHS support 4K sectors?

If not, I know you can set a jumper or use WD-Align, but how robust is that? Are there any issues in WHS from doing so?

I prefer the WD over the Samsung mainly because the WD has an idle power consumption of 3.7W vs. Samsung 5.4W. Either is much better than 7.8W idle of the WD1001FALS. But I don't want to have issues with data, obviously, by running the WD drives.

I don't exactly need the storage space yet, but I'm at 3.7TB of my 5TB and plan on doing some significant storage reorganization and addition. I will probably need at least another 1TB of storage.

Thanks!

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 1:40 AM

Answers

• I purchased a few of those 4K drives, but 1 TB, by mistake, since that 4K stuff was not visible on the resellers website and the larger cache was tempting.

Two of them did not survive the mounting well (maybe they where not liking the hotplugging in the EX470). The others got the jumper set before inserting them and since then worked without problem. According to the manual the jumper is only allowed for single partition drives, which fits for the DATA volumes, but not for the system volume.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

• Marked as answer by MarkBx Thursday, July 22, 2010 7:52 PM
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 12:17 PM

All replies

• Search is your friend.

This has been asked a number of times recently, and the advice hasn't changed: Don't try to use one as your system drive, but you should be okay using one as a secondary drive in server storage as long as you install the jumper per Western Digital's instructions.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 2:12 AM
  • Thanks for the response. Sorry, I did a search and didn't see anything specific to this. "advanced sector" "4k drives" "Western Digital Green" etc...

I will not be using this as the system drive, will keep my WD Caviar Black for that, mainly because I don't want to go through the headache of a complete reinstall, plus have several other services running on there that I'd have to remember how to set up again. :)

Considering WHS v2 (Vail) sounds like it is on the cusp of being released, I may just hold off and then do the hard drive swaps at that time.

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 3:19 AM
  • "... on the cusp of being released..."

Personally, I don't expect Vail RTM much before the end of the year; this would fit the time line for the V1 beta in 2007 reasonably well.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 10:15 AM
  • I purchased a few of those 4K drives, but 1 TB, by mistake, since that 4K stuff was not visible on the resellers website and the larger cache was tempting.

Two of them did not survive the mounting well (maybe they where not liking the hotplugging in the EX470). The others got the jumper set before inserting them and since then worked without problem. According to the manual the jumper is only allowed for single partition drives, which fits for the DATA volumes, but not for the system volume.

Olaf

• Marked as answer by MarkBx Thursday, July 22, 2010 7:52 PM
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 12:17 PM

Olaf

Thanks for that info. I only plan on using them as data drives anyhow, so will be sure to set the jumper before I plug them in. No hot plugging in mine since I'm just using a traditional PC that I pieced together from some used and new parts. Been working great for over a year now (knock on wood). :)
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 7:52 PM
  • I'm running a few 2TB EARS using the 7/8 pins jumper method [data drives]. I am using them in external esata port muliplier boxes.  No problem. However, I just discovered there may be another problem - that is head parking.  There is a DOS program called WDIDLE3 that  address the high load/unload cycles that are part of the WD's power-saving functionality. If you fail to do this the heads will park after 8 secs - repeatedly. I think this is a problem with WHS.  I intend to disable this power saving 'feature' today. Google WDIDLE3, plenty of posts on the subject. These drives have a three year warranty and the repeated head parking could cause them to fail at the wrong time. Hope this helps.
    Tuesday, July 27, 2010 4:31 PM