OCS 2007 R2 Trial - Failed to initialize Address Book web service setting RRS feed

• Question

• OCS Event Viewer is showing this error. These errors repeat every 5min. Searching the address book on the communicator side works fine. However you can't expand the user groups. All other functions are working fine for the standard OCS installation.

Failed to initialize Address Book web service setting
    Initialization will be retried in 5 minutes
    Resolution: Check previous event logs for more information

Previous event log shows

Address Book web service encountered an exception

Microsoft.LiveServer.DLExpansion.AbWebServiceSettingException: Failed to read AbAttribute table from backend ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
       at Microsoft.LiveServer.DLExpansion.AbWebServiceBackend.DbExecuteReader(String spName, SqlParameter[] spParams, CommandBehavior commandBehavior, Int32 commandTimeout)
       at Microsoft.LiveServer.DLExpansion.AbWebServiceSetting.LoadAbAttributes(Hashtable& attributesById, Hashtable& attributesByName, String& attributeNames)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at Microsoft.LiveServer.DLExpansion.AbWebServiceSetting.LoadAbAttributes(Hashtable& attributesById, Hashtable& attributesByName, String& attributeNames)
       at Microsoft.LiveServer.DLExpansion.AbWebServiceSetting.Init()

Has anyone seen this error before? and does anyone know of a solution?

Thanks in advance.
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 5:59 PM

All replies

• Check your SQL backend for errors. The web service can't read from the SQL database...

Jamie Schwinn
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 7:06 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.

OCS Admin tools report no issues with backend db - I can view reports for the "(local)\rtc" database.

I can connect to the RTC database with management studio and view the logs and activity monitor - there are no errors. Very little traffic.

Event viewer on OCS server shows that the RTC database starts up with no issues.

This is the OCS 2007 R2 Trial - so the database is 2005 Express Edition - it installed automatically with OCS 2007 R2.

Are there any other ways to confirm that the OCS can read the SQL database properly?

Thanks again in advance.
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 7:44 PM
  • Group expansion is handled by IIS, have you changed the service account password or modified the IIS configuration in any way (other than assigning a certificate)?
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 9:07 PM
  • Thanks for the response.

I did re-type the password for the RTCComponentService account in the Identity section of the LSGroupExpAppPool Application Pool. This is after I changed the RTCComponentService and RTCService account passwords to "password never expires".

That was the only modification that I made to IIS - other than assigning the certificate.

The IIS Admin Service is set to "Log on as" the "Local System Account"

Thanks again in advance.
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 9:51 PM
  • Wanted to make note of a few things I've been trying.

I had read about manually synching the address book with this command:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office Communications Server 2007 R2\Server\Core\abserver.exe" -syncnow

I ran this command yesterday afternoon at about 2PM local time. At around 2:23PM, the errors as I reported above stopped completely.

Then at 1:30AM local time, there was an error after the "Synchronization pass"

Unable to create output file.
    Path: 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office Communications Server 2007 R2\Web Components\Address Book Files\Files\F-0c11.lsabs'
    Exception: Access to the path 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office Communications Server 2007 R2\Web Components\Address Book Files\Files\F-0c11.lsabs.tmp' is denied.
    Cause: Either the path is inaccessible or the Address Book Server does not have the correct permissions to create the file.
    Resolution: Examine the details in the associated event log entry to determine the reason and the possible cause.

I had set "Everyone" to full control on that particular folder. When I tried to confirm that security setting on the folder, I found that the "Everyone" had been removed.

No errors until 9AM local time - and then I restarted one of the Communicator clients in order to see if the error "Cannot perform this action, and the cause is unknown" has been resolved.

I still got the error in Communicator, and the 2 error messages started up again on the OCS Event Viewer.
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 3:55 PM