Total storage size RRS feed

• Question

•  

I had 2 750 GB drives inside the server and ran out of space. I added a 800 GB USB datatank. Total storage is 2.09 TB so i started to fill it but with 690 GB free in the server storage window it stopped with the message that there is less then 5 GB free.

Anyone has a clue ?

Regards,

Constant

Sunday, November 18, 2007 10:08 AM

Answers

• Constant,

Firstly, how have you been adding the files? If not doing it through the shared folders, WHS will not know about them and so will not be able to migrate them onto the other drives. Also, when you added your new drive, you did add it to the storage pool, not left it as a drive outside the pool?

If you install this Add-In, it will tell you which folders/files have been duplicated across your drives.

Colin

Sunday, November 18, 2007 10:59 AM

All replies

• Constant,

Firstly, how have you been adding the files? If not doing it through the shared folders, WHS will not know about them and so will not be able to migrate them onto the other drives. Also, when you added your new drive, you did add it to the storage pool, not left it as a drive outside the pool?

If you install this Add-In, it will tell you which folders/files have been duplicated across your drives.

Colin

Sunday, November 18, 2007 10:59 AM
  • I searched through the forum and found the solution to this problem. Because beginners make the same mistake i did i guess MS should solve this. If' i'm able to use the drive directly it should not behave like that.

Regards,

Constant

Sunday, November 18, 2007 12:25 PM
  • There's nothing to solve. The problem came about because you were using Remote Desktop, rather than accessing your server only through the WHS Console, network shares, and the Remote Access web site. Remote Desktop isn't a recommended way to access WHS. Indeed, doing so for other than admin functions is technically a violation of the EULA (and copying files to the server isn't an admin function). Had you not been using Remote Desktop, you wouldn't have experienced this issue.
    Monday, November 19, 2007 1:12 AM
  • If i give my customers this kind of answers i'm soon out of a job.

If a product lets me use functionality it should work. All my clients at home are wireless and only the nas and server are wired. Everyone who uses this config is going to do it the wrong way for the first migration of data. I read that the migrator service might or might not solve the problem. This for me is a showstopper for this product because if nobody can tell me how this proces exactly works i don't want to sell it.

Regards,

Constant

Monday, November 19, 2007 11:54 AM
  • Constant, I don't think everyone will "do it the wrong way" the first time. Most purchasers of the OEM units won't even know that using Remote Desktop to connect to their server is an option, because it's not likely to be in the documentation HP (or other vendors) supplies. If you don't know that RD is available, why would you try it? And you can only make this particular mistake though a Remote Desktop session.
    Monday, November 19, 2007 12:26 PM
  • My remark was:

Everyone with the same config that means all wireless clients... and not everyone.

1,5 TB replacement is no option with wireless clients and i did find a way by using the remote desktop. And hiding the drives and only show shares is no rocket science..

Regards,

Constant

Monday, November 19, 2007 6:01 PM