Mirror on External NAS Drive RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

Does anybody made some experience in having any kind of Mirroring or Sync. Software on WHS and having an external NAS drive for example?

I would like to mirror my Data somewhere in my house at a NAS drive but I would like to have the software at the WHS Box rather than a client.

Any Ideas, experience, suggestions???

Thanks

Daniel

Friday, July 13, 2007 7:25 PM

All replies

•  dkazoch wrote:

Hello

Does anybody made some experience in having any kind of Mirroring or Sync. Software on WHS and having an external NAS drive for example?

I would like to mirror my Data somewhere in my house at a NAS drive but I would like to have the software at the WHS Box rather than a client.

Any Ideas, experience, suggestions???

Thanks

Daniel

SyncToy will sync your WHS to your NAS and it can even be scheduled. I'm sure other SW works too but some can't handle network paths.
    Friday, July 13, 2007 7:53 PM
  • Thanks I am going to try it......I just prefer to have an extra backup somewhere.... :-)

Friday, July 13, 2007 7:58 PM
  •  dkazoch wrote:

Thanks I am going to try it......I just prefer to have an extra backup somewhere.... :-)

Everyone should have extra backups of important data, but even more so with a beta OS. Big Smile

Friday, July 13, 2007 8:04 PM
  • So thats why I use IDrive and want to have also the NAS solution.........better safe than sorry.....

But so far WHS is great....no more Linux FileServer at home....great SW cant wait for final release....

Friday, July 13, 2007 8:20 PM
  • Unless I missed something in setting it up, SyncToy won't work (even when scheduled) unless you're logged in.  I tried to set it up to back up my files at work to the fileserver, but it just tosses an error into the log about not running in user interactive mode.  I don't think I'd want to stay logged in to the server 24/7 to have it automatically replicate to a NAS box.  And I wouldn't want to have to remember to log in every day to do it either.

Please tell me I'm wrong and there's a way to set SyncToy up to run while logged out.  I looked around on those forums and didn't find anything.

Monday, July 16, 2007 1:38 PM
  • Perhaps an alternative is robocopy; it's quite happy running as a scheduled task under W2k3

An alternative could be Allway Sync

Colin

Monday, July 16, 2007 4:36 PM
  •  dkazoch wrote:

So thats why I use IDrive and want to have also the NAS solution.........better safe than sorry.....

But so far WHS is great....no more Linux FileServer at home....great SW cant wait for final release....

I agree completely, HDD space is cheap these days. Wink

Congratulations on getting rid of linsux, the internet and your network will be better off for it. Big Smile

Monday, July 16, 2007 7:58 PM