How to verify MS Money 2005 LANGUAGE version RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm struggling with the installation of Money 2005 Premium on a new PC. It is still working on my old one, running on Win 7 (32-bit). I managed to get it updated before Jan. 2011.... (Lucky me)

Now I'm installing on the new machine (64-bit) and facing troubles with the update to the 1105 version. On several posts I see mentioned different language versions..... Can anyone explain to me how I can define if I have the UK or International English versions, or even the US version?

After I install from my CD I end up with version: 14.0.125.724. I already tried to install the patch Money2005-IntlEngl-QFE2.exe after that, but for some reason it gives the following response: 'The version of Money you're trying to install is older than the version already installed on your computer. You must remove the newer version of Money before you install the older version.'

I'm puzzled..... Does anyone have a suggestion which 'move' to make?

Many thanks!

• Edited by CoolNL Saturday, October 8, 2011 8:12 PM
    Saturday, October 8, 2011 8:11 PM

Answers

• Money 2005 Premium is a US version. UK and International versions of Money 2005 had different descriptions.

Install Money Sunset http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/athome/microsoft-money.aspx on both systems.

• Marked as answer by CoolNL Wednesday, October 12, 2011 8:23 PM
    Saturday, October 8, 2011 9:54 PM
  • New procedure:

To determine what geographic version of Microsoft Money that you have
    installed is to look in the "MNYCoreFiles\Work" folder for the *.aw file(s).

If the installation is UK, the file will be MNYUKEN.AW.  If it is
    INTL English, it will have several files all starting with MNYEN.
    The file for US would be MNYUSEN.AW.  So, to summarize, the 4th and
    5th letters tell the story, UK, EN or US. Later US versions also should
    work for Canada.

If you installed Money 2005 in the default folder on C:, you could run
    this command including the quotation marks, in a command window:
    dir  "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money 2005\MNYCoreFiles\Works\*.aw"

Otherwise browse in Windows Explorer. You may have to modify the
    settings of Windows Explorer to show hidden files and folders.

Monday, October 10, 2011 2:36 AM
  • There is only one version number for Sunset. No version of Microsoft Money will be updated. Money is no longer supported by Microsoft.

If you want to interchange your data file between the machines you will need Sunset on both. If you just want to start running Money on the new machine you can leave Money 2005 on the old one.

Money 2005 will not read a Sunset data file.

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 12:40 PM

All replies

• To distinguish between UK and Canada, in Help->About there is a License Terms (US/Canada) or
    Licence terms button. Maybe a user of the international version could provide more info.

Note that Money2005-UK-QFE2.exe.exe and Money2005-IntlEngl-QFE2.exe.exe are complete installation files rather than just the 1105 updates.

Saturday, October 8, 2011 8:38 PM
  • New procedure:

To determine what geographic version of Microsoft Money that you have
    installed is to look in the "MNYCoreFiles\Work" folder for the *.aw file(s).

If the installation is UK, the file will be MNYUKEN.AW.  If it is
    INTL English, it will have several files all starting with MNYEN.
    The file for US would be MNYUSEN.AW.  So, to summarize, the 4th and
    5th letters tell the story, UK, EN or US. Later US versions also should
    work for Canada.

If you installed Money 2005 in the default folder on C:, you could run
    this command including the quotation marks, in a command window:
    dir  "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money 2005\MNYCoreFiles\Works\*.aw"

Otherwise browse in Windows Explorer. You may have to modify the
    settings of Windows Explorer to show hidden files and folders.

Monday, October 10, 2011 2:36 AM
  • I tried to find the MNYCoreFiles via Windows Explorer, but even after setting the View to show hidden files and folders I could only see 4 files in the folder C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money 2005:

a link to Microsoft Money 2005

MnyUpdate.log

readme.txt

Sample mny

Looking at the properties of the first file/link it points to a source: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money 2005\MNYCoreFiles\msmoney.exe".... Which I don't see.

Anyways, following the procedure using the old DOS commands helped. In the command window it says: MNYUSEN.aw meaning I have a US version.

My next question is relating to the comment from DominicP about installing Money Sunset 'on both systems'..... Is that really necessary? Can't I just install Sunset on my new machine an open my datafile (msmoney.mny) over there?

And about Sunset: is there a certain version number that is important?

Many thanks!

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 11:59 AM
  • Dominique, Cal,

Thanks both of you! I managed to get my file up and runnning again on my new PC with the Sunset Deluxe..... I'm so glad that this worked out. My files are going back to 1993....

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 8:22 PM