Can I Add New Data Drive To Pool Through Remote Access When Console Not Working? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a 2TB data drive that is beyond fixing, but WHSv1 still starts and shares the shares.  Before removing the drives to back up as much data as possible (got all but about 2 files), I was able to get into the server via the console.  Now that I've run the drives enough to copy all the data, I can no longer access the server via the console, as I'm being told that HomeServerConsoleTab.Storage.dll is blocking the console from starting.

My plan was to put all the drives back in the server (Lenovo D400) and add a new unformatted 2TB drive into the pool before trying to "remove" the bad one.  Without being able to get in via the console, I have no idea how else I can incorporate the new drive and remove the bad one.

Suggestions please, anyone?

Monday, August 13, 2012 11:59 PM

All replies

• You might have to remove the damaged drive physically, add the new drive, boot the server, add the new drive via console and remove the detached (missing) drive.

If folder duplication was enabled, this should allow to recover all data on these duplicated shares, but no client backups, if they have been stored on the damaged disk.

If the disk is still accessible from Windows Explorer, the FAQ How to recover data after server failure may help you to recover some or all data.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 11:12 AM
  • @fdgrrrr: I am pretty sure, your reply is not related to the topic - and not to any other you posted before, since this seems to be your first posting. Please create a new thread and explain what exactly your problem is in the appropriate context.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 7:26 AM