Password Sync in Home Server 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• In Windows Home Server v1, the connector client would remind you to sync your client and server passwords when you changed the password on the client, however I don't get this feature in Windows Home Server 2011 on any of my machines.

Was this feature removed?

Richard Green, MCSE Windows Server 2003
    Saturday, August 20, 2011 8:26 AM

Answers

• Microsoft made the change because people had a lot of trouble with the difference between server and client user data including login vs. screen name, password differences, etc. The fact that there are now three SKUs, two of which support domain join, probably also plays into it, since presumably you're going to use domain accounts for the business SKUs.

As for your options, you can:

• Use the same credentials for local login on your client, and for access to your home server. This is NTLM passthrough and you get to manage it yourself. I don't think the LaunchPad does anything in this scenario, though I could find out if I thought it mattered. I don't, because it doesn't, so I won't. :)
    • Use different credentials let the LaunchPad cache the Home Server credentials, and let it to log you in automatically. The LaunchPad will, behind the scenes, pre-authenticate you in this case.
    • Use different credentials and don't let the LaunchPad cache them. Again you control when you log in to your server, you just do it in a different place.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by richardjgreen Thursday, September 6, 2012 2:48 PM
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 2:23 PM

All replies

• Instead of forcing you to maintain synchronization of client and server passwords, which some consumers found challenging, the LaunchPad allows you to specify an arbitrary set of credentials with which you will connect to your server.
    Saturday, August 20, 2011 9:29 PM
  • Instead of forcing you to maintain synchronization of client and server passwords, which some consumers found challenging, the LaunchPad allows you to specify an arbitrary set of credentials with which you will connect to your server.

You mean the remember my credentials and remember my password options? That's not exactly secure is it.

Under settings, there is an option for Automatically logon when I log into Windows, so the Launchpad is capable of SSO by passing the NTLM credentials to the Home Server, so I don't understand why they didn't include the feature but make it opt-in?

Sure some users may have found it challenging to keep the accounts in sync, but surely it's worse to have to remember what two different passwords are on-going? I wouldn't object so much if there was an option to change the server password in the Launchpad, but the only way I seem to be able to do it is by opening Remote Web Access and using the change password option there, so it's actually more steps and more effort to achieve the wonders of SSO this way.

Richard Green, MCSE Windows Server 2003
    Sunday, August 21, 2011 9:21 AM
  • how can i got windows server password ?
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 5:27 AM
  • Microsoft made the change because people had a lot of trouble with the difference between server and client user data including login vs. screen name, password differences, etc. The fact that there are now three SKUs, two of which support domain join, probably also plays into it, since presumably you're going to use domain accounts for the business SKUs.

As for your options, you can:

• Use the same credentials for local login on your client, and for access to your home server. This is NTLM passthrough and you get to manage it yourself. I don't think the LaunchPad does anything in this scenario, though I could find out if I thought it mattered. I don't, because it doesn't, so I won't. :)
    • Use different credentials let the LaunchPad cache the Home Server credentials, and let it to log you in automatically. The LaunchPad will, behind the scenes, pre-authenticate you in this case.
    • Use different credentials and don't let the LaunchPad cache them. Again you control when you log in to your server, you just do it in a different place.

• Marked as answer by richardjgreen Thursday, September 6, 2012 2:48 PM
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 2:23 PM