I think I have WHS2011 firewall problem..... RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am having problems with my WHS2011. For the first couple of years, it worked great. This all started a couple of months ago, when I installed Spybot on my client. I uninstalled it and scrubbed my registry of any remnants of Spybot. But now, for some reason the server will not connect with the client with the exception of allowing me to browse shared folders. The server will not back up the client, cannot make remote connections and cannot sign into the Launchpad other than in offline mode. I can ping the server. On my router, I have a reserved IP address for the server as well.

In my desperation, I reset the WHS 2011 server firewall to the default settings. From what I gather, that is not a good thing to do. I was having this problem before I reset the WHS2011 firewall. If I turnoff the firewall on my server, all is good. it all works as it should. When I turn the firewall back on....well its not so good.

Oh, it might be worth mentioning that, I have s shortcut of the shared server folders, i.e., music, pictures and videos on my client desktop. Sometimes it asks for me to provide my server credentials and sometimes it doesn't. If I don't provide them, it will still let me browse, but I cannot delete or add to the server.

I would really appreciate any help with this.

Thanks,

Scott

Saturday, November 8, 2014 8:47 AM

All replies

• Hi Scott,

Would you please let me confirm whether your routers designed for home use support Universal Plug and Play (UPnP)? Please refer to following article and check if configure router properly.

Windows Home Server Router Setup

Meanwhile, would you please let me know whether run the Remote Access Repair Wizard on Dashboard?

How can I troubleshoot my firewall?

In addition, please also refer to following article and check if can help you.

Firewall Settings for Windows Home Server

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

If anything I misunderstand or any update, please don’t hesitate to let me know.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Justin Gu

Monday, November 10, 2014 12:57 PM
  • Resetting the Windows Homeserver Firewall to default settings is not a good thing, thats right.

The few attempts I have seen to get a functional configuration back, i.e. by importing the firewall related registry keys from a functioning WHS, did not solve the issue successfully.

The recommended way would be unfortunately to reinstall the operating system.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

• Proposed as answer by Justin Gu Tuesday, November 11, 2014 1:05 AM
    • Marked as answer by Justin Gu Monday, November 17, 2014 5:25 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Scott W. Britton Sunday, December 21, 2014 7:07 AM
    Monday, November 10, 2014 3:43 PM
  • Thanks y'all for getting back to me. Sorry that I didn't get back sooner. If I need to reinstall the OS, what do I need to do? Is there a checklist for this, so that I won't loose data, i.e. music, pictures?

Thanks,

Scott

Sunday, December 21, 2014 7:08 AM
  • Reinstalling WHS 2011 is described in http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh148189.aspx

I would recommend, to backup all important to you data to an external drive (which you should do anyway more regularly, since disks can die or the machine itself can be hit by an catastrophic incident like electrical power surge, fire, water, falling, theft or an unlucky user hitting delete/overwrite on the wrong files.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Tuesday, December 23, 2014 3:17 PM