Vote for RTM/Retail Version of WHS here................ RRS feed

• Question

• If you want the WHS to available as retail and standalone product, so vote here................

Vote here as a message in this thread............

-------------------------------------------------------------------

bc_dalai

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 6:29 PM

All replies

• WHS will be available as a "system builder" package, which is software only, for installation on your hardware. So there's no real need for a retail version. I'm honestly not clear why you would want a retail version, instead of the system builder version, unless it's because of the "hardware purchase requirement" that Microsoft did away with several years ago.

There are two main target audiences for WHS. The first is the part time home systems administrator (Mom or Dad) who's probably not technically sophisticated. This user will probably purchase a WHS system from an OEM like HP, Tranquil, etc. The second audience is a technically savvy user, who will install WHS on her own hardware (maybe as an end user, maybe as an ISV).

The first audience will want the OEM package because it does everything right out of the box, and it comes with a level of technical support. The second audience will be less interested in the support (at least at first) and more interested in the price. There's no real audience for someone who will walk in to Circuit City and buy Windows Home Server off the shelf to install at home.

Or at least that's my interpretation of everything Microsoft has been saying for the past 8 months. Smile
    Tuesday, August 21, 2007 7:31 PM
  •  

Code Snippet

The second audience will be less interested in the support (at least at first) and more interested in the price. There's no real audience for someone who will walk in to Circuit City and buy Windows Home Server off the shelf to install at home.

I am the second. Many like me can't buy big budget server OSes like Windows Server 2003/2008 for a server (i.e. small server in office or elsewhere) so that's why I want a retail version.

If i'll use it in retail, then i can take part in the development and deployment for other users.

If more users like me will not use it. Then it will be a obsolete/nonused/unpopular OS for everyone. and who those want server features/stability for their OS will not get satified if they will not buy it as standalone. because those who have existing hardware, will definitely choose to buy this separately.

That's why I raise this question to the users.

bcdalai

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 7:58 PM
  •  

Don't quite understand your poll, WHS will be available as a standalone "Sysytem Builder" version, which means you can order it from a supplier like Newegg with no hardware.  A quote from the system Builder License "A system builder is anyone who assembles, reassembles or installs software on a new or used computer system". So what else do you need?
    Tuesday, August 21, 2007 8:14 PM
  • Your posts don't really compute.  There will be a retail version of WHS available at big-box retailers; it just comes installed on pre-configured boxes from HP, Gateway, etc.  What you're looking for is the OEM version, and it's been emphatically stated that you will be able to get the OS alone from resellers such as Newegg, et al.
    Tuesday, August 21, 2007 10:38 PM
  •  evoque wrote:
    Your posts don't really compute.  There will be a retail version of WHS available at big-box retailers; it just comes installed on pre-configured boxes from HP, Gateway, etc.  What you're looking for is the OEM version, and it's been emphatically stated that you will be able to get the OS alone from resellers such as Newegg, et al.

True issue indeed.

So this topic been voted already Smile

My best.
    Tuesday, August 21, 2007 10:47 PM
  •  bc_dalai wrote:

If you want the WHS to available as retail and standalone product, so vote here................

Vote here as a message in this thread............

-------------------------------------------------------------------

bc_dalai

Microsoft has already said they will be releasing WHS in prebuilt/configured hardware (such as by HP) and as a software only offering in OEM software form. How hard is oem software to get? Pretty easy. Even Amazon.com sells it (vista example)  http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_sw/103-0363894-3391061?initialSearch=1&url=search-alias%3Dsoftware&field-keywords=vista+oem&Go.x=0&Go.y=0&Go=Go
    Thursday, August 23, 2007 12:31 AM