XP Home Edition Media? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I deal with many XP Home Edition users that need their OS reinstalled after replacing a faulty hard drive.  Most don't have their original installation media, but they have their product key codes on the attached COA sticker on their computer.  Can I get a generic "media only" installation CD for XP Home Edition, that will accept the valid product keys from the COA stickers of computers needing replacement hard drives?  Does such a thing exist?  When doing a search, I could only find media with a license included.

Thanks

Wednesday, July 2, 2008 1:55 AM

Answers

• Dmarsh,

To my knowledge there is not  a generic "media only" installation for XP Home Edition.  Please visit http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/ . Curious are the computers commercial or custom built which the users own? Each computer is required to have a COA affixed locally. Custom built computers should have the software accompanying the system. Commercial built systems may include a Recovery CD with their systems. Recently some manufacturers provide detailed instructions along with a software tool allowing customers to make the system Recovery CD for their system. Next the manufacturer may also include a hidden hard drive partition so their Technical Support staff can walk the customer through a recovery installation process. This would not be an option because you mention replacing users hard drives. 

First please request the user to contact their system manufacturer and request the Recovery Media associated for their machine. Second if they have lost, broken, or misplaced the original Windows XP Home Media installation CD, they can order replacement media from Microsoft @ http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302822/en-us

Hopefully I have been able to help you and provide you with direction for getting media your customers require.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

WGA Forum Manager

Wednesday, July 2, 2008 5:48 AM