When emailing an account, what address is it using? RRS feed

• Question

• We use Google Apps so we don't use Outlook and therefore have no integration of email with CRM.  Just got email router working and figure it would be good to send some mail from inside CRM so it's tracked there.  Sending to contacts make sense, but if I go into an account and try to send an email, it has the account as the TO field.  Some accounts have 10 contacts, so who is it going to email?  Is there a way to email a contact but have the email message logged under the account?  Since people are more likely to view closed activities under an account or opportunity to view email messages, but they're not going to open all 10 contacts just to see if one person has been emailed?
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 4:48 PM

Answers

• Lee, When you email an account it will go to the email adress in the account record. It will not go to the related contacts.

When your users go to the Accouunt History Associated View (in 4.0) or Closed Activities in 2011, they will see then activity records of all the child contact records. Why do they see the related records? Because the Include value is set to Related "Regarding" Activities by default. So all the activities including sent emails will rollup to the parent account.

Jerry CRM Innovation - Need a solution for CRM to help you manage Events or Email Marketing? Follow me on Twitter
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 5:49 PM

All replies

• Lee, When you email an account it will go to the email adress in the account record. It will not go to the related contacts.

When your users go to the Accouunt History Associated View (in 4.0) or Closed Activities in 2011, they will see then activity records of all the child contact records. Why do they see the related records? Because the Include value is set to Related "Regarding" Activities by default. So all the activities including sent emails will rollup to the parent account.

Jerry CRM Innovation - Need a solution for CRM to help you manage Events or Email Marketing? Follow me on Twitter
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 5:49 PM
  • Ah I'm dumb, I just assumed because it said "to" the account it was going somewhere else.  I've removed the email address field on my account form so that's why I was confused.  Didn't even check to see that contact emails were saved under account so this is super handy now.  Thanks!
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 6:15 PM