I just don't get it... RRS feed

• Question

•  

Maybe I'm being really stupid, but I just don't get it.  What is a robots.txt file and how do I had one to my site?  My site is not getting picked up www.yardefarm.co.uk by MSN and I've entered the validation code into the html.

I don't want to do anything complicated, just get picked up by MSN but it all seems so complicated and all the instructions are written in techo-babble. 

Can anyone help please?  Some step by step instructions would be amazing!

Thanks in advance.

Monday, August 18, 2008 8:46 PM

Answers

• A robots.txt file alone won't help you get indexed by Live Search. You need to create buzz about your website so that people build links to you naturally. The more lnbound links, the higher the possibility of being indexed and ranked by Live. Having said that, an xml sitemap and a mention of it in your robots.txt should help too.

Look around for free online tools to create a sitemap if your website is not huge. A simple robots.txt file might look as following (can create it using Windows notepad, save it as robots.txt and upload it in the root of your domain:

User-Agent: *
    Allow: /
    Sitemap: http://www.yourwebsite.com/sitemap.xml

Hope I helped you a bit Stick out tongue
    Monday, August 18, 2008 9:35 PM

All replies

• A robots.txt file alone won't help you get indexed by Live Search. You need to create buzz about your website so that people build links to you naturally. The more lnbound links, the higher the possibility of being indexed and ranked by Live. Having said that, an xml sitemap and a mention of it in your robots.txt should help too.

Look around for free online tools to create a sitemap if your website is not huge. A simple robots.txt file might look as following (can create it using Windows notepad, save it as robots.txt and upload it in the root of your domain:

User-Agent: *
    Allow: /
    Sitemap: http://www.yourwebsite.com/sitemap.xml

Hope I helped you a bit Stick out tongue
    Monday, August 18, 2008 9:35 PM
  • OK, thanks so much for your help.  I don't know if it will make a difference, but I've created both the files listed above and added them to my site.

I can do the PR/Marketing side, but not so hot on the technicial things!

Monday, August 18, 2008 9:58 PM