C: drive only has 100MB left RRS feed

• Question

• I just logged into my WHS and noticed a little notification on it saying that I needed to free up some drive space on C: because there is only 100MB left.  What should I do? Why is the C: partition only 20GB?
    Saturday, March 7, 2009 1:53 PM

Answers

• My C:\windows\temp folder has 8GB of data in it!  How in the world does that happen?
    Monday, March 9, 2009 7:32 PM
  • Ok after deleting everything out of the temp folder I have 13GB of free space on my C drive now.
    Monday, March 9, 2009 7:50 PM

All replies

• The C: partition is only 20 GB because Windows Home Server is designed to be a headless system, with nothing installed except what Microsoft provides or WHS-specific add-ins, and no user access except through the WHS Console, the shares, and the Remote Access web site.

So: have you installed anything else on your server? If you have, you should take a look at where that stores data. How about using it interactively (Remote Desktop or physical console)? This can create a variety of temp files, documents, etc.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, March 7, 2009 2:15 PM
  • Ken,

I have not installed anything on this server other then what MS has released to update the server.  I do remote into the server via remote desktop for admin stuff, but I never write data to the C: drive.  Does the server have the disk cleanup tool like vista and XP?  If so I could run that. Other then that you have any other ideas?
    Saturday, March 7, 2009 6:46 PM
  • Scott Micale said:

Ken,

I have not installed anything on this server other then what MS has released to update the server.  I do remote into the server via remote desktop for admin stuff, but I never write data to the C: drive.  Does the server have the disk cleanup tool like vista and XP?

The tool is there, but I would strongly advise against using it.

Scott Micale said:

If so I could run that. Other then that you have any other ideas?

Right click on each folder in C:\ and view the properties of each one (make sure Show hidden files and folders is checked so you can see all of the folders).  Clearly one or more of them has way too much data.  (One possibility is the log files which are stored under C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs.)
    Sunday, March 8, 2009 3:17 PM
  • My Windows folder is 17GB. The next biggest folder is Documents & Settings 500MB, Program files 230MB, WHS 320MB.
    Sunday, March 8, 2009 8:03 PM
  • Scott -

I just checked - my C:\Windows folder is 2.88GB with just under 14K files.  Not sure why yours is so large.

Paul
    Sunday, March 8, 2009 8:11 PM
  • Hi Scott,
    17GB for Windows folder is definitively to much (on my system it is less than 5 GB).
    Download and install TreeSize locally on your WHS (which is unsupported) and analyse the Windows Folder with it.
    I would tend to assume an "exploding" logfiles subfolder, but could also be the Installer folder going mad.
    A quick cleanup could also be done by deleting the folder names starting with $NtUninstall, but would recommend to leave out the uninstall folders specific to Windows Home Server patches, so that you can uninstall them if ever needed.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, March 8, 2009 8:12 PM
  • My C:\windows\temp folder has 8GB of data in it!  How in the world does that happen?
    Monday, March 9, 2009 7:32 PM
  • Ok after deleting everything out of the temp folder I have 13GB of free space on my C drive now.
    Monday, March 9, 2009 7:50 PM
  • Scott Micale said:

My C:\windows\temp folder has 8GB of data in it!  How in the world does that happen?

There are a fair number of tools that you might be using when you remote in to the server desktop that would use that location for temporary storage.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, March 9, 2009 8:03 PM