Home Server Evaluation Copy - LockOut After Change Server Date Time RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

spent last weekend building my server, installing whs and setting up my pcs - everything great.

Noticed that:
    1  WHS telling me the 30 day trial edition was about to expire
    2  That my server date / time were incorrect

So last night got product key from WHS connect site for the 120 day evaluation copy and activated with the product key - told me my copy was good till 4/9/2010
    Then changed the date time to be correct

Now WHS is still running and seems to be backing up, but I can no longer sign into console.  When I attempt to do this it tells me "the evaluation period for this copy of windows has ended.  Windows cannot start.  To continue using windows purchase and install a retail copy of the product"

Probably where I was going to end up, but I planned on waiting till next year to buy it and wanted to see it working for a bit longer.

How do I get my evaluation edition back working???

Appreciate any help    

Friday, October 16, 2009 2:04 AM

All replies

• Hi

spent last weekend building my server, installing whs and setting up my pcs - everything great.

Noticed that:
    1  WHS telling me the 30 day trial edition was about to expire
    2  That my server date / time were incorrect

So last night got product key from WHS connect site for the 120 day evaluation copy and activated with the product key - told me my copy was good till 4/9/2010
    Then changed the date time to be correct

Now WHS is still running and seems to be backing up, but I can no longer sign into console.  When I attempt to do this it tells me "the evaluation period for this copy of windows has ended.  Windows cannot start.  To continue using windows purchase and install a retail copy of the product"

Probably where I was going to end up, but I planned on waiting till next year to buy it and wanted to see it working for a bit longer.

How do I get my evaluation edition back working???

Appreciate any help    

You'll have to perform a Server Reinstallation and request another key on Connect.
    Friday, October 16, 2009 2:40 AM
  • Presumably the reinstall will reformat the drives and I'll lose all data?  I'd love to be optimistic about this, but I'm not getting a good feeling here

Thanks

Friday, October 16, 2009 2:50 AM
  • Presumably the reinstall will reformat the drives and I'll lose all data?  I'd love to be optimistic about this, but I'm not getting a good feeling here

Thanks

No.  A Server Reinstallation wipes only the OS partition, leaving everything else alone.  See the FAQ post:  How do I upgrade from evaluation/trial to a full copy of WHS? for details on how to do that.  (Even though it's not your situation, the steps are the same.)
    Friday, October 16, 2009 2:58 AM
  • Excellent - will give it a go - thanks for your help
    Friday, October 16, 2009 3:07 AM