User-independent installation of CRM system RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

we use MS Dynamics CRM 3.0 system and want to automate the Client installation for MS Outlook. The problem is that the user has to be the local administrator and needs to be logged in. My question is: Is it possible to install the Outlook client for a specific user on his PC when the specific user is not logged in? We have to install it on over 100 PC's and it would take us an amount of time to set up a CRM Client on every single PC.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Butterfly24

Friday, May 9, 2008 8:58 AM

Answers

All replies

• Butterfly24,

Unfortunately I have not seen a way to install the CRM Outlook client when not logged in as the specific user.  One of the main reasons is that the install will install files to the user's Outlook profile as well as the HKey_Current_User hive in the registry.  So, unless you have a way to mimic/replicate that, I know of no way to not install it as the user.

You could use Active Directory to do most of your dirty work for you through a log in script.  That way, when the users log in you could have it lauch the install for you and take care of it right then and there.  I've seen this done in Citrix environments and I'm sure it could be done through Active Directory scripts as well. 

Hope this helps,

Fronk

Saturday, May 10, 2008 7:45 AM
  • The implementation guide details how to do a "silent install" of the CRM client via group policy.  It's not totally unassisted, but it is better than the alternative when deploying to a large number of users.

see http://blog.customereffective.com/blog/2007/12/mass-silent-dep.html and the implementation guide for more details.  You can download the 3.0 implementation guide from here: http://www.microsoft.com/Downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1ff067f8-4f77-40f0-ae9c-68ada7d4f16a&displaylang=en

Saturday, May 10, 2008 11:19 AM
  • you can see ms crm installation guide.

about install outlook inside ms crm, it is not, outlook is separate cd and you need to install it first.

Regards,

Imran

Monday, May 12, 2008 1:12 PM
  • Butterfly24,

Were you able to work out a solution?  You may have to contact Microsoft if you haven't already to see what they can do to help you out.

Hopefully everything worked out so that you don't have to manually install one everyone's machine individually.

Fronk

Friday, May 23, 2008 9:38 PM
  • you cant..

Monday, May 26, 2008 10:31 AM