none
Slow upload speed from my WHS RRS feed

• Question

• I just installed a WHS and uploaded pics etc today.  Then I created a remote account for a friend.  When he download the pictures he only reach about 64kb/s... .  He have fibercable with 100mbits/s.

My up speed is 20mbit/s and down 100mbit.

Is there any limitation in WHS????   Anyone with same experience or any nice advice what to do., As it is today the remote acces is useless.

Many thanks in advance!

Thursday, April 2, 2009 5:18 PM

Answers

• Maybe you should start some calculations:
    1 MBit/sec upload speed is around 122 KByte/sec (divide by 8 to come to Byte and by 1024 for converting the M to K)
    So you are already very near the maximal possible speed of your upload bandwidth, and given the fact, that the transfer will need some bandwidth for management and other communications, you can't get a real better result without paying your ISP more for increased (upload) bandwidth.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, April 3, 2009 9:50 AM
  • I am downloading stuff on a daily basis from internet with about 8mbit/s.  Of course this is not necassary, but I do at least expect this WHS server to be able to perform 1mbit/s.   Otherwise the remote functionality is about 10 years behind its time. It is not possible to share files today if the speed is below 1mbit. An 800mb document/SW takes up to 12 hours. 

Many thanks for your feedback anyway.   I understand it as you do not know about any build in limitations in WHS. 

Yes, but downloading is completely different than uploading.  Typical upload speeds (at least in the USA) for a residential internet package are 256 Kb/s or 768 Kb/s, while download speeds are upwards of 10Mb/s.  So when he is downloading a file from your server, your server is uploading the file.  So that upload is, as I said, fairly normal.
    Friday, April 3, 2009 11:54 PM

All replies

• I have a 10 meg connection to my ISP. I am running a gig LAN. I have a remote user that usually downloads at about 100-110 kb/s. I would suspect that it is the lan side that is limiting your speeds. Limitations in WHS.....that I cannot answer with certainty.

Cruise
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 7:46 PM
  • I just installed a WHS and uploaded pics etc today.  Then I created a remote account for a friend.  When he download the pictures he only reach about 64kb/s... .  He have fibercable with 100mbits/s.

If the 64 kb/s is through the internet, that's (fairly) normal (although that number does seem a little low for internet access).  You won't see anywhere near 100 Mb/s through the internet (those speeds are always LAN speeds).

My up speed is 20mbit/s and down 100mbit.

Is there any limitation in WHS????   Anyone with same experience or any nice advice what to do., As it is today the remote acces is useless.

Many thanks in advance!

Friday, April 3, 2009 12:27 AM
  • I am downloading stuff on a daily basis from internet with about 8mbit/s.  Of course this is not necassary, but I do at least expect this WHS server to be able to perform 1mbit/s.   Otherwise the remote functionality is about 10 years behind its time. It is not possible to share files today if the speed is below 1mbit. An 800mb document/SW takes up to 12 hours. 

Many thanks for your feedback anyway.   I understand it as you do not know about any build in limitations in WHS. 

Friday, April 3, 2009 6:29 AM
  • Maybe you should start some calculations:
    1 MBit/sec upload speed is around 122 KByte/sec (divide by 8 to come to Byte and by 1024 for converting the M to K)
    So you are already very near the maximal possible speed of your upload bandwidth, and given the fact, that the transfer will need some bandwidth for management and other communications, you can't get a real better result without paying your ISP more for increased (upload) bandwidth.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, April 3, 2009 9:50 AM

Yes, but downloading is completely different than uploading.  Typical upload speeds (at least in the USA) for a residential internet package are 256 Kb/s or 768 Kb/s, while download speeds are upwards of 10Mb/s.  So when he is downloading a file from your server, your server is uploading the file.  So that upload is, as I said, fairly normal.
    Friday, April 3, 2009 11:54 PM