WHS 2011 Firewall turned off alert RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've been running WHS for a few months without issue. I have various things running on it, primerily TVersity for media sharing, SqueezeBox and Perforce.

Recently the alert vew has started reporting 'Windows Firewall is turned off on the server' as far as I can see, this isn't the case, opening the firewall setting reports it all turned on. If I click 'Try to repair the issue' in the alert view, it takes couple of seconds, the alert vanishes and things seem ok again. If I refresh though, the alert reappears.

Also around the same time this started happening, I've started having issues with devices being able to see my Tversity server. It seems to be connected to the firewall issue as the way to fix it for a short while seems to be to 'Try to repair the issue' on the firewall alert and then restart the Tversity server.

Any ideas what's going on? I can only presume it was some windows update as nothing else has really changed recently?

Friday, October 21, 2011 11:18 AM

All replies

• So no ideas on this then?

I've been having a play around with the last updates installed automatically and seem to have got the media servering working again (tversity and the WHS integrated one) by removing:

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 9 for Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 Edition (KB2586448)

At least everything had been running ok until WHS auto-updated it again last night and everything went off again.

I've disabled auto-update now and will monitor it.

I'm guessing the permanant (false?) alert about the firewall being disabled can be ignored but will likely be one of the other 4 recent updates?

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 12:51 PM
  • Could you please submit a bug for this on Connect? Though I don't have the same problem, so it could be related to the presence of Tversity, rather than the update you mention, any time a Windows update affects other tools I think Microsoft needs to be told. :)
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 1:55 PM
  • This didn't seem to be the issue after all, WHS media server and TVersity were both inaccessible again this morning...

I've not uninstalled all the windows updates from the last couple of weeks to see if I can narrow things down...

Unfortunately the firewall alert still exists tho...

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 9:44 AM
  • Right... after several days more of playing, I've not re-installed all the service packs.

The problem is somehow related to the firewall warning in WHS alerts.

At some point, something happens to the firewall which stops all media sharing on the network (WHS/Win 7 sharing and tversity) at this point, the alert saying the firewall is disabled appears. To fix, you have to 'repair this error' in the alert box and restart media sharing in the various forms.

I'm at a loss... is there anyway to get anything meaningful out of the firewall logging to see if I can see any specifc event occuring?

Monday, October 31, 2011 9:46 AM
  • I'd be interested in a solution too. Exactly the same problem . A bogus firewall alert . Very irritating.
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 8:05 PM
  • Same here, same problem. Nearly constant. Irritating indeed. I also experience mysterious server crashes, where the OS just goes down. Running Drive Bender--wondering if that might contribute to either or both problems?
    Saul
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 7:14 PM
  • I am having the same problem. For about two months now the error stating the firewall is turn off comes up. I do not have any tversity or any additional software installed (other than Avast Anti virus). Has anyone come up with a solution or is there a bug fix?

Thanks

Sunday, December 18, 2011 10:15 PM
  • You cannot vote on your own postI suggest you to submit a bug on Microsoft Connect forum.

Link: https://connect.microsoft.com/

You can get help from the engineer via Connect Forum, also you can upload you logs to the product team.

I believe your problem will be resolved soon.

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 8:07 AM
  • Actually, there doesn't appear to be an active Connect progam for WHS 2011. The most recent program on the Connect site is for WHS PP1, dating back to 2007.
    Saul
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 7:48 PM
  • Saul

Try this: https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/Feedback

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 7:53 PM