Cannot enable WLOC Firewall & Antivirus after Tune-up & 'alleged' update RRS feed

• Question

• I ran tune-up overnight & it reported that I needed an update. I elected to go ahead & now every time I boot-up the PC it reports that WLOC is off & the Firewall & Antivirus are OFF in Windows Security Centre. I have tried to enable them but it says the service is not working or has been stopped. I have also tried enabling the Windows firewall in Control Panel, but this is 'greyed out'. Despite numerous reboots, I am currently left without Firewall or Antivirus protection.

I suspect the eventual solution will be an uninstall/reinstall operation, but this is so long-winded & problematic I am clutching at straws for any other ideas.

Wednesday, May 7, 2008 10:16 PM

Answers

• Hi Stephen

Thanks for your replies.

As I said at the end of my original post, I expected the eventual outcome would be a complete uninstall/reinstall & after digging around WLOC Help pages & trying a few suggested fixes I have now reinstalled.

Regarding the 'update' identified by Tune-up, I believe it was WinXP Service Pack 3 that was being identified. I have now installed that update also.

Thursday, May 8, 2008 3:52 PM

All replies

• Is the OneCare status green or red?

If it is red, do you have the following message? "OneCare has encountered a problem and might not be protecting this PC"

If so, check the date and time on your PC. If it is incorrect, the problem you encountered could happen.

If the date and time are accurate, the permissions on the OneCare folder may need to be reset by using the following steps

1. Click Start->Run->Type “CMD(In Vista, type cmd in the search box, but don't hit enter and then right click command.exe and select and “Run as Administrator”)
    2. Type    CACLS "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows OneCare Live" /t /g administrators:f
    3. Type “Y” when prompted.
    4. Restart the machine

If it is green, and the Windows Security Center is the only warning about the security being off, see this post to try to fix the WMI database in Windows - 

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2469173&SiteID=2

Note that you can't enable the Windows Firewall through Control Panel as OneCare disables it via a Group Policy setting. And, if OneCare has encountered a problem, you don't restart it via the Security Center, but you open OneCare and click on the actions to take buttons within OneCare - assuming you can open OneCare at that point.

If none of the above apply, I would uninstall and reinstall. I assume that you can open OneCare and the protection status is in the red due to everything being reported as off? If so, can you obtain the version information in Help/About while confirming that you know the Subscription ID which you will need to use to activate the reinstalled copy of OneCare.

I'm going to move this post into the Update folder, by the way, as the Tune-up was likely incidental to the issue and may have been caused by the update to 2.0.2500.30 which is currently being deployed.

-steve

Thursday, May 8, 2008 12:36 PM
  • As I clicked to send off my reply, it occurred to me that you mentioned that Tune-up reported that your PC needed to install a missing update. Do you happen to know what that update was? In your update history for Windows Update, it will list the updates and when they were installed. If the update installed was the Windows Genuine Advantage update, then the following doesn't apply. If, however, the update was to .Net Framework, that could be the cause of your problem. Do let us know what update was applied as well as the answers to my previous questions above.

-steve

Thursday, May 8, 2008 12:40 PM
  • Hi Stephen

Thanks for your replies.

As I said at the end of my original post, I expected the eventual outcome would be a complete uninstall/reinstall & after digging around WLOC Help pages & trying a few suggested fixes I have now reinstalled.

Regarding the 'update' identified by Tune-up, I believe it was WinXP Service Pack 3 that was being identified. I have now installed that update also.

Thursday, May 8, 2008 3:52 PM
  • Ah, so you had not installed the recommended update when OneCare blew up. It may have blown up on the update to 2.0.2500.30, then. Glad to read that you reinstalled to resolve it, which means you now have the latest code and that you went for XPSP3, too.

-steve

Thursday, May 8, 2008 4:51 PM