"At least one service or driver failed during startup" reported, but no errors in the Event Viewer RRS feed

• Question

• I've got the same issue as was discussed in this thread, I think - except that the answer doesn't seem to apply at all to the question.  (Why would Connector software installed on a client have anything to do with startup behaviour of the server itself?)

I've installed WHS on an older machine, no (reported) problems during install.  (This is my second install of WHS - it's a server built for my parents.)  When it booted up, it automatically logged in the Administrator and came to the desktop.  I didn't recall that behaviour on my (first) WHS install, but I continued installing updates, etc. until I had it "set up".  I was at the point of wanting to make it headless, and saw that the "autologin" behaviour had persisted, so I modified the reg key (HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\WinLogon\AutoAdminLogon -> 0) to stop the automatic logon.

Now on boot it claims that a "service failed to start".  No errors in the event log, though.  There are only two services marked "automatic" that aren't currently running: Performance Logs and Alerts, and Windows Home Server Setup Service.  Attempting to start the Performance Logs and Alerts results in a start/stop, with the service manager helpfully reporting that some services stop automatically if there's no work to do - like the Performance Logs and Alerts service.  Attempting to start the Windows Home Server Setup Service fails with a timeout.

Over at the WGS forums, the prevailing opinion on this subject seems to be a NIC driver that doesn't start quickly enough.  Does anyone concur, or have alternative ideas?

TIA

Todd McDermid's Blog
    Saturday, July 4, 2009 11:59 PM

All replies

• I've got the same issue as was discussed in this thread, I think - except that the answer doesn't seem to apply at all to the question.  (Why would Connector software installed on a client have anything to do with startup behaviour of the server itself?)

I've installed WHS on an older machine, no (reported) problems during install.  (This is my second install of WHS - it's a server built for my parents.)  When it booted up, it automatically logged in the Administrator and came to the desktop.  I didn't recall that behaviour on my (first) WHS install, but I continued installing updates, etc. until I had it "set up".  I was at the point of wanting to make it headless, and saw that the "autologin" behaviour had persisted, so I modified the reg key (HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\WinLogon\AutoAdminLogon -> 0) to stop the automatic logon.

Now on boot it claims that a "service failed to start".  No errors in the event log, though.  There are only two services marked "automatic" that aren't currently running: Performance Logs and Alerts, and Windows Home Server Setup Service.  Attempting to start the Performance Logs and Alerts results in a start/stop, with the service manager helpfully reporting that some services stop automatically if there's no work to do - like the Performance Logs and Alerts service.  Attempting to start the Windows Home Server Setup Service fails with a timeout.

Over at the WGS forums, the prevailing opinion on this subject seems to be a NIC driver that doesn't start quickly enough.  Does anyone concur, or have alternative ideas?

TIA

Todd McDermid's Blog

I don't have a Windows Home Server Setup Service on mine.  I can only assume that it was automatically removed when installation was complete.  Also, I had the same autologon issue you did one time.  However, instead of modifying the registry, I just kept rebooting the server until it got down to 0 on its own.  You might try the same thing and see what happens.
    Sunday, July 5, 2009 5:24 AM