OneCare couldn't start the backup service... RRS feed

• Question

•  

OneCare is running in the "fair" condition due to the message "OneCare couldn't start the backup service" and a button to "Go to the Help Center", however the help center has no info, and there seems to be no info after going to the "Online Help".

The funny part is, everything is working, or seems to be. The backup function works when I click the link, the online photo backup notifies me of occasional uploads, etc.

In an effort to rectify the problem (cause I like a green icon, not yellow) I uninstalled Onecare from the affected machine and reinstalled. The icon was green for one day, next day upon booting the system, it has gone back to yellow.

Is there someone else experiencing this?

Is it a known bug that I've overlooked?

Is there something I'm doing wrong to cause it?

Finally, should I file a bug report on it, if the above answers are all no. heh Wink

Monday, October 1, 2007 10:20 PM

Answers

All replies

• That isn't a condition I've seen reported before, since you say it does backup and has successfully completed backups. 

Please file a bug on Connect:  https://connect.microsoft.com/site/sitehome.aspx?SiteID=168

See the Bug Submission Guide - http://connect.microsoft.com/content/content.aspx?ContentID=3480&SiteID=168 - for details on how to create and submit the Support Log zip file with your bug.

-steve
    Tuesday, October 2, 2007 5:23 PM
  • Thanks, Stephan. I submitted a bug report, but I think it will get trashed due to my not having a support tool icon on my desktop for data collection. And using the supprt log feature in the settings of OneCare just opens a browser with the support log. I'm afraid saving it to desktop and attaching that won't help much, lol

Of course, I could be totally wrong, since I'm not really what anyone would call an advanced user. :/

Wednesday, October 3, 2007 12:29 AM
  • That report is useful, but to create the full support log zip file, see the instructions on Connect:

See the Bug Submission Guide - http://connect.microsoft.com/content/content.aspx?ContentID=3480&SiteID=168

Even without the logs, thanks for filing the bug. If the team needs to get the full log from you, they can reach out to you.

-steve

Wednesday, October 3, 2007 1:39 AM
  • Has anyone found a solution to this problem.  I too am getting the error. OneCare was unable to start the backup service.  However it has just been installed and the backup service was not yet configured.  When clicking on the configure backup button it says Windows Live OneCare encountered an error and it must close.  Also going through change settings the and clicking on the backup tab the configure backup is grayed out.  Any assistance with this is appreciated.  I have yet to find a solution online. 

Monday, July 21, 2008 1:51 AM
  • Please contact support for help with this problem.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, July 21, 2008 4:28 PM
  • Mr. Boots,

PC: DELL Dimension 4600 (P4-2.3Mhz), 512 Mb RAM, 27% of 40Gb HD available; XP Home SP3, IE 8.0, Latest BIOS and Intel chipset drivers, external HD-Western Digital 6400. 

Live OneCare says protection is FAIR and asks user to configure backup.  Hangs part-way through process.  1)Click on "Configure Backup"   2)Click "Next"   3)Live OneCare hangs.

Thnaks for any help you can provide.

Bob Lang
    • Edited by Bob Lang Thursday, May 28, 2009 6:57 PM
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 4:48 PM
  • Your best bet is to contact support for this. it sounds as if something is conflicting with the OneCare backup process.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Sunday, May 31, 2009 2:43 AM