Software issue installing RRS feed

• General discussion

• I Use Windows for 20+ Years.  This is the Frist time I seen this one. Basicly you download software. In this case Wizard101. As long as I seen program installers They always ask Which Drive do you want to install on. This program automaticly install on C:\. When I email KingsIsle Entertainment who Made Wizard101.  When I ask Them About why I can not install on a differnt Hard drive Here is the Message they sent to me

"If you have Windows 7 or Vista, due to restrictions with the Operating System, you will not be able to install Wizard101 to a different drive. With other Windows XP, you can choose the location you wish to install it to by clicking the Customize Install button on the bottom of the first page of the installer. If you have further questions about this, just let me know.
    "
    Now I ask a Local Tech about the same issue .  Told me this. "Where software installs is determined by the installer, and how that works is determined by the person or people who wrote it." Gave some suggestion on how to tweak the Registery and such and if that dose not work He recommend you take this issue up with the software programmers.  Which is KingsIsle Entertainment. 

It would not be a Major issue if I just had a Normal hard disk.  But like alot of New computer users They have SSD drives and due to the cost of the SSD it dont have Much room.  Windows and a few Other Programs and my secondary Hard disk is where I store Programs games and software.

Alineware M17x R2 Intel i7 720. 8gb ram Dual ati 4870s SSD drive 80gb(c:\) 10gb left. 620gb(D:\) Tons of space. 

• Changed type JimR1Moderator Saturday, February 19, 2011 6:45 PM Off topic.
    Saturday, February 19, 2011 12:52 AM

All replies

• This forum is for the discussion of Windows Live One Care. If the program you are trying to install defaults to the C:\ drive there's not much you can do about it. I have Windows 7 and all of my programs installed on an 80gb SSD and have 50 gb free. If you do a disc cleanup (including old restore points) and move your libraries to your D:\ drive you should have plenty of space on your SSD to install programs.

Jim

Microsoft MVP Consumer Security - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Saturday, February 19, 2011 6:54 PM
  • For some reason I can not access sithchean as my nick and sorry about the wrong forum.  If you can point me to a Microsoft forum that can answer this better i will be on my way.

But back to the topic

What if My 80gb ssd drive was 32 gb or 64gb what then?  Would your suggest have been to have the user Install windows on the other hard drive.  For the convenience of the Manufacture or not install the softtware?

Sunday, February 20, 2011 10:18 AM
  • Let me point out hard drive is slower then a SSD drive.
    Sunday, February 20, 2011 10:36 AM
  • For general Windows XP questions the following group of forums would be best and doing a search for "Windows XP SSD" at this page should provide direction, though you'll notice that Windows 7 will still be displayed for many articles.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/default.aspx#tab=4

The reason you'll see Windows 7 displayed so often is that it is designed for operation with SSD drives, while Windows XP which is ancient (10+ years) in computing terms is oblivious and simply treats an SSD as another hard drive.  SSD drives should be avoided for things that are written a lot like disk caching, temporary files and even regularly changed data, since their lifetime is reduced by performing many write cycles.  This means you want things like Windows XP and other programs on the SSD, since they are often read but rarely written, but not user data (Libraries) since these will often change and cause disk writes and temporary files.

Windows 7 also specifically avoids defragging of the SSD drive and turns off things like pre-fetch which aren't required with Windows installed on the SSD drive.  You must do this manually with Windows XP and sometimes these aren't simple checkboxes, but require registry and other special changes.

Personally, if I were using an SSD drive I'd simply upgrade to Windows 7 and install the programs on the SSD, while storing all personal files on the hard drive which is what grows the largest and changes the most.  Most of the delay with Windows comes from waiting for portions of the operating system or programs to be accessed from the drive or for Windows swap file access, which if the PC has enough RAM can usually be avoided.  The actual time required to access most user data is relatively short, since they are usually stored relatively close together on the hard drive and only a split second of lag actually occurs.

Go to the forums above to discuss this more, this is just what I understand from my background with Windows and those actually using the drives should have more experience.

< EDIT > I just realized that you mentioned Windows XP in your quote, but I don't see where you mentioned which version you actually have installed.  Assuming it's Windows 7 everything else still applies, but if it's Vista, you should upgrade that too, since the improvements for SSD were only added to Windows 7, since SSD drives weren't commonly in use when Windows Vista was released.

Here's the main link to the Microsoft Answers forum, you can select your Windows version from there.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/default.aspx

Rob

Sunday, February 20, 2011 3:39 PM
  • Sorry Rob Koch I have Windows 7 Ultima.  and a small SSD drive.  With selected Files on it.  Like Lord of the Rings and World of Warcraft and Crysis.  The reason I have the 3 programs on my SSD drive is It faster in Access time vs a Hard drive which would Cause Shuttering and Pausing on online games.  I dont think I should be forece delete or move my software to install something else.  I think I should have the choice where programs should be Installed. 

Please I dont want to hear well you can delete this or that to make the other company happy.

But this Bring the Same question.  Who is at Fault? Microsoft or the Software manufacture? 

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 2:30 AM
  • But this Bring the Same question.  Who is at Fault? Microsoft or the Software manufacture? 

There is no fault. The developer of the software made the decision to limit where the software could be installed. If you wish to continue this discussion, please go to the Answer forums as suggested by Rob above.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 4:08 PM