Lost my copy of windows 3 years ago but I have keys RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have lost the windows XP CD 3 years ago which came along with my laptop but I do have COA with product key written back on my laptop. 

I recently formatted my laptop and I have installed XP from another CD but it is complaining that windows is not genuine.

Is there any way I can have genuine windows on my laptop?

Surender

Thursday, July 21, 2011 7:46 AM

Answers

• Hello Surender,

The problem is that the disk you used to reinstall was probably a Retail disk where but the key on your PC is designed to work in OEM software (The disks that came with the PC had the OEM software). Normally I would recommend contacting the manufacturer of the PC to get a replacement disk (most manufacturers offer replacement OEM disk/software on their website) but since you are using Windows XP, the manufacturer may not still carry replacement disks.

There are some websites that specialize in providing old OEM software but since they are not partners with Microsoft, I am not allowed to link to them.  One of the Community Contributes that frequent this forum may be able to provide a link to a safe site (I say 'safe' because it's possible that some untrustworthy sites might include malware in the software).

So, your first step is to contact the manufacturer and/or check their website for replacement software.  Next you can see if a friend has an OEM disk (Disks from other manufacturers might work). Lastly, see if one of the Community Contributes can suggest an alternative source for the software.

I hope that was helpful,

Darin MS
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 8:46 PM
  • Hello SurenderDargan,

As Darin wrote, your best option is to acquire the correct manufacturer's recovery disc for your make and model of laptop, assuming of course the manufacturer still has stocks to sell to the public.  If you post your laptop's make and model number we might be able to steer you to the right place.

In case the manufacturer does not have discs to sell you, one alternative source for manufacturer recovery discs is www.restoredisks.com.

Another option:  you might be able to "genuine-ize" your current installation of XP by using the Product Key Updater Utility: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/help/genuine/product-key  This utility adds a rudimentary "change product key" function to Windows XP Home and Pro editions.  Unfortunately (to my knowledge) the utility was never updated to work with XP Media Center Edition.

Friday, July 22, 2011 1:09 AM

All replies

• Hello Surender,

The problem is that the disk you used to reinstall was probably a Retail disk where but the key on your PC is designed to work in OEM software (The disks that came with the PC had the OEM software). Normally I would recommend contacting the manufacturer of the PC to get a replacement disk (most manufacturers offer replacement OEM disk/software on their website) but since you are using Windows XP, the manufacturer may not still carry replacement disks.

There are some websites that specialize in providing old OEM software but since they are not partners with Microsoft, I am not allowed to link to them.  One of the Community Contributes that frequent this forum may be able to provide a link to a safe site (I say 'safe' because it's possible that some untrustworthy sites might include malware in the software).

So, your first step is to contact the manufacturer and/or check their website for replacement software.  Next you can see if a friend has an OEM disk (Disks from other manufacturers might work). Lastly, see if one of the Community Contributes can suggest an alternative source for the software.

I hope that was helpful,

Darin MS
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 8:46 PM
  • Hello SurenderDargan,

As Darin wrote, your best option is to acquire the correct manufacturer's recovery disc for your make and model of laptop, assuming of course the manufacturer still has stocks to sell to the public.  If you post your laptop's make and model number we might be able to steer you to the right place.

In case the manufacturer does not have discs to sell you, one alternative source for manufacturer recovery discs is www.restoredisks.com.

Another option:  you might be able to "genuine-ize" your current installation of XP by using the Product Key Updater Utility: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/help/genuine/product-key  This utility adds a rudimentary "change product key" function to Windows XP Home and Pro editions.  Unfortunately (to my knowledge) the utility was never updated to work with XP Media Center Edition.

Friday, July 22, 2011 1:09 AM