Improvebents to SyncToy - syncronizing two PC's by USB-Flash drive RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello!
    I need to syncronize two PCs: one is WorkPC (it's at my work), and another HomePC at home. For syncronizing I try use SyncToy-2 and I use a USB-FLASH drive for curring data between work and home PCs.

In this case - StncToy doesn't working correctly!!!

When I create an equal folders on my WorkPC and on the USB-Flash drive and syncronizing it by SyncToy2 - all is correct. But when I go home and try to syncronize this folder on USB-Flash with equal folder on my HomePC - then SyncToy performs complete overvriting for each file and folder, but all of this is equal to files on WorkPC and not was changed. In this situation I using SyncToy2 installed both: my WorkPC and HomePC. On WorkPC was crearted one folder pair to syncronize a folder from Work HDD with Folder on Flash, and on HomePC also installed SyncToy with folder pair to syncronize one folder on home HDD with that USB-Flash folder which was syncronized to work folder.

The situation when users needs to syncronize two remote PCs by using USB Flash drive, is very - very often, and I need help: how it can be done?? If SyncToy not supporting this mode now, is it can be improved in next version to address this need?

Thanks!
    • Moved by Max Wang_1983 Monday, April 18, 2011 10:19 PM Forum consolidation (From:SyncFx - Feedback [ReadOnly])
    Thursday, March 5, 2009 6:07 AM

All replies

• I tried this and it worked fine. New files created at different locations were transferred fine to the other end point using the flash drive as the intermediary.
    Did you run into data loss? Was it as a result of simulataneous updates at multiple locations?
    What action were you using: Synchronize, Echo or contribute.

If you have can provide more information on your scenario, maybe I can help troubleshoot.
    This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 12:10 AM
  • Hi -

Can you try this differently. Assume that you know of the three locations ( USB, WorkPC, HomePC ) has all the correct information that needs to be sync'ed. Delete all the files from the other two locations and the delete the folder pairs as well. Now recreate the folder pairs and use SyncToy to populate the other two locations. After this continue with your normal operations and let me know if this solves the overwriting problems.

Also, I am assuming that your work and home-pcs are in the same time zone?

Thanks
    Deepa
    Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 1:29 AM
    Answerer