WIN 7 and WIN 10 PC's not seeing each other RRS feed

• Question

• This problem plagued me foe 8 months. Finally I found there are three elements to the problem, maybe what I found may help others. My WIN 7 PC now sees all files with File Explorer without any fancy gymnastics.

1. Network and sharing settings. Make sure that public and private sharing is set to NO password protected; because it appears that a WIN 7 PC could interpret Public as pertaining to Private and so you are blocked.
    2. Services settings in WIN 10 and services.msc in WIN 7 which many forum posts cover that is Function Discovery Resource Publication must be started
    3. In home LAN networks usually unimpeded access to files and folders is paramount and we shouldn't be paranoid about security, therefore the anti virus should be set correctly not just turned off temporarily. So set public and trusted zones to allow all traffic and zones to show all the private IP addresses of all PC's in the Network. For example with ZoneAlarm Extreme Security make certain that Names AND private IP addresses show in the View Zones page.

Hope this helps the many frustrated folks in Microsoft Land.

• Moved by Dave PatrickMVP Wednesday, December 30, 2020 1:54 AM looking for forum
    • Changed type Dave PatrickMVP Wednesday, December 30, 2020 1:54 AM question
    Wednesday, December 30, 2020 1:12 AM

All replies