Cannot backup new SSD RRS feed

• Question

• I just installed an OCZ 120GB SSD in my HP DV6 laptop. I used Acronis True Image to re-image the system from a previous image. The system is working perfectly, but when I try to run a backup from my WHS (v1), I get backup failure: "The computer failed to take a snapshot of the volume for backup".

Would restoring from the WHS backup solve this?

Any ideas or suggestions appreciated,

Thanks,

Jack R.

Jack_R_WHS
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 4:04 PM

All replies

• Any chance there is a hidden partition on that laptop?  I have found that caused the same issue for me in the past.

-- Richard Hay
    http://WindowsObserver.com
    Unofficial Microsoft and Tech Evangelist
    Host of the Observed Tech PODCAST
    Microsoft MVP Windows Expert-Consumer

"Jack_R_WHS" wrote in message news:8118eab9-1b4d-47cb-aaf1-8d971353d682...

I just installed an OCZ 120GB SSD in my HP DV6 laptop. I used Acronis True Image to re-image the system from a previous image. The system is working perfectly, but when I try to run a backup from my WHS (v1), I get backup failure: "The computer failed to take a snapshot of the volume for backup".

Would restoring from the WHS backup solve this?

Any ideas or suggestions appreciated,

Thanks,

Jack R.

Jack_R_WHS
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 5:33 PM
  • Thanks for the reply, and pardon my ignorance...how would I tell?

Using Computer Management, the drive shows three partitions: 199MB SYSTEM, 99GB C: drive and 7.8GB Recovery.

Jack_R_WHS
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 5:44 PM
  • Restoring from a backup might correct the issue (depending on what's really wrong), but only if the new disk is at least as large as the old one.

But rather than starting with that, I would try excluding partitions from backup one at a time. Start with the OEM recovery partition, then the system reserved partition. Do a manual backup after each exclusion.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 7:14 PM
  • Restoring from a backup might correct the issue (depending on what's really wrong), but only if the new disk is at least as large as the old one.

But rather than starting with that, I would try excluding partitions from backup one at a time. Start with the OEM recovery partition, then the system reserved partition. Do a manual backup after each exclusion.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

--...but only if the new disk is at least as large as the old one.--

The SSD is smaller than the old drive, and I notice that the recovery volume has -0- free space.

I think that may be the problem.

I'll try excluding all but the C: drive and see.

I'm guessing now that a fresh install of Windows 7 would be the best bet.

Thanks for your help.

Jack_R_WHS
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 7:25 PM
  • If you still have your original laptop HDD, you could try shrinking the partitions until they are smaller than your SSD, back up to WHS and then do a restore of that backup to your SSD. I have successfully used that method a number of times. You can get rid of the OEM partition but you will probably need the System partition (which contains Boot files) - after the restore you may need to boot with your W7 installation disk and run system recovery to get all the boot files in the right place.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 7:37 PM
  • That sounds like good advice; I'll try it, thanks!

(BTW, the WHS backup of the C: drive -only- is proceeding normally)

Jack_R_WHS
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 7:50 PM
  • OK, if it backs up successfully I would then try a restore to your SSD after initialising it. You may get the "No System drive" when you try to boot from it so run the W7 DVD System Restore and it will recreate the the Boot files without the System Partition.

Good luck.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 8:00 PM
  • Jack,

Let us know if it went well with your backup.

-- Richard Hay
    http://WindowsObserver.com
    Unofficial Microsoft and Tech Evangelist
    Host of the Observed Tech PODCAST
    Microsoft MVP Windows Expert-Consumer

"Jack_R_WHS" wrote in message news:835435e5-4146-435d-ac75-8e9d2dc6e28e...

That sounds like good advice; I'll try it, thanks!

(BTW, the WHS backup of the C: drive -only- is proceeding normally)

Jack_R_WHS
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 8:06 PM
  • ---Let us know if it went well with your backup.---

The C: drive backed up sucessfully when selected on its own.

I'm going to try Phil Harrison's suggestions next.

Thanks to all..

Jack_R_WHS
    I followed Phil Harrison's suggestions (Thanks!), resized the HDD to match the SSD, made an image and imaged the SSD from there.  The SSD now backsup sucessfully with WHS.

(FWIW, it was a royal pain getting to the point where Windows 7 Disk Management would allow resizing small enough due to unmovable system files)

Thanks again to all who helped,

Jack R.

• Edited by Jack_R_WHS Friday, December 2, 2011 9:16 PM
    Thursday, December 1, 2011 1:09 PM