Generic error message when closing parent record. RRS feed

• Question

• server: On premise 2011 update 11

client: IE10 or IE11 on W8 or 8.1

My users constantly get an error message when trying to close a child window opened from the parent. 

Users will open a record, select to open a record from a grid related records to update.  They update the record and click save and close.  A generic error message with no log appears behind the child record.  Users think the system has frozen since they can't see the error message behind the current window.  Once you move the current form to the side you can click ok on the error message.  The data from the edit is saved.

The error message is:

Error

An error has occurred.

Try this action again.  If the problem continues, check the Microsoft Dynamics Community for solutions .....

As I said no log file. 

I turned on log tracing and reproduced this behavior several times but nothing shows up.

This is drastically slowing down and in some cases blocking adoption CRM.

I have worked with my 3rd party CRM vendor and they have no idea what it is so I'm reaching out to the community.

Thanks

Scott Clancy

Monday, November 25, 2013 9:00 PM

Answers

• Hi Scott,

To be very frank, I have no idea of what may be the issue, but still I would like to start on this.

Now when you say,

Scenario:

1. The record is opened from the grid and the error occurs when clicked on "Save and Close".

2. Platform and IE version: IE 10 / 11, Win 8 / 8.1

3. CRM version: CRM 2011 with Rollup 11

Now, I would like to probe some questions:

1. Does your CRM rollup 11 was later updated with the Critical update for Rollup 11 (CRM 2011 Critical Update for Rollup 11)? This was important for the customers with Rollup 11 update.

2. Does this issue occurs when you run the same scenario in the Compatibility mode of IE 9 / 8 ?

3. Does this issue occurs when run in IE 9 / 8 of OS other than Win 8 / 8.1?

4. Are you getting the same issue when you try to open the same entity record directly from the homegrid / advanced find instead of opening from the parent form?

The reply will help to narrow down to identify the actual issue.

Thanks & Regards,

Anubhav Bajpai

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 5:35 AM

All replies

• Hi Scott,

To be very frank, I have no idea of what may be the issue, but still I would like to start on this.

Now when you say,

Scenario:

1. The record is opened from the grid and the error occurs when clicked on "Save and Close".

2. Platform and IE version: IE 10 / 11, Win 8 / 8.1

3. CRM version: CRM 2011 with Rollup 11

Now, I would like to probe some questions:

1. Does your CRM rollup 11 was later updated with the Critical update for Rollup 11 (CRM 2011 Critical Update for Rollup 11)? This was important for the customers with Rollup 11 update.

2. Does this issue occurs when you run the same scenario in the Compatibility mode of IE 9 / 8 ?

3. Does this issue occurs when run in IE 9 / 8 of OS other than Win 8 / 8.1?

4. Are you getting the same issue when you try to open the same entity record directly from the homegrid / advanced find instead of opening from the parent form?

The reply will help to narrow down to identify the actual issue.

Thanks & Regards,

Anubhav Bajpai

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 5:35 AM
  • Thank you for the heads up on the update for 11.  We applied that to our test environment and that seems to have resolved the issue.

I'll mark this as answered.

Scott Clancy

Monday, December 2, 2013 6:01 PM