Intel Speed Step RRS feed

• Question

• I am currently evaluating WHS on an Asus N4L-VM DH motherboard with onboard Intel Pro LAN & Core Duo mobile T2400CPU. I plan to eventually run up to 12 hard disks -  2 on the ICH7 ports & 10 E-Sata on the pair of J-Micron ports via port multipliers.

This board consumes low power for good performance - the measured system input current at (Australian 240V AC) is 35W at idle with 1 hard disk, 42W with 2 disks.

As to my question - with Windows Vista installed I can enable Speed Step technology (900Mhz) with no detriment to networking speed. Under Vista I have sustained network data transfer rates >100MB/s for large video files. Just under 1 minute to transfer a  6GB mpeg. Unfortunately, I can't quite match the Vista network speed in WHS PP1, but the speed is good enough to pursue my evaluation. However, my CPU is running noticeably a little warmer due to the lack of speed step support. Is there any way to enable it under WHS?

Thanks

Monday, June 30, 2008 5:56 AM

All replies

• Have you set the power profile to "Server Balanced Processor Power and Performance"?  Also check its enabled in the BIOS.
    Monday, June 30, 2008 1:03 PM
  • Yes, checked that. I have also tried most aggressive power settings eg, notebook. After a little Googling it appears that Speed Step may not be supported out of the box in Server 2003. But I would really like to get it going for a Home Server that's doing very little work a lot of the time. It works fine when XP or Vista is installed by the way.
    Monday, June 30, 2008 4:03 PM
  •  RossPK wrote:
    Yes, checked that. I have also tried most aggressive power settings eg, notebook. After a little Googling it appears that Speed Step may not be supported out of the box in Server 2003. But I would really like to get it going for a Home Server that's doing very little work a lot of the time. It works fine when XP or Vista is installed by the way.

After a quick google it does seem server 2003 is a bit funny with speed-step, shame they don't just offer a driver like AMD rather than having it built into the kernel. 

Have you downloaded CPU-Z to actually confirm that the cpu frequency isn't changing?
    Monday, June 30, 2008 4:14 PM
  • Yeah, tried a few CPU speed utils to actually monitor the real clock.  CPU-Z shows at a little over 1900Mhz, never drops below. With Vista on the system speed varies from 990 to 1836 by the CPU speed widget.

Might just be a registry tweak - I'll keep trying to find out.
    Monday, June 30, 2008 5:11 PM
  • Just tried installing WHS on a S939 NF4 server board. Cool'n'Quiet works out of the box - no additional CPU driver required. The 3800+ CPU is running from 1000Mhz to 1800Mhz. So, this time AMD is supported & Intel is not it would seem.
    Tuesday, July 1, 2008 9:36 AM
  • I am running an E2180 processor (Pentium Dual Core) with an Intel G33 chipset (Gigabyte G33M-D2SR). I have both EIST and C1E enabled in the BIOS, and the processor is running over the range 1200 MHz (6 X) to 2.0 MHz (10 X) on WHS, as confirmed by CPU-Z and Everest Ultimate (a great program to run on the WHS by the way - allows logging of hard drive, CPU temps, speeds etc.)
    Wednesday, July 2, 2008 3:05 AM
  • It must have something to do with my 945 chipset or mobile CPU then...........interesting.

Wednesday, July 2, 2008 5:25 PM