retrieving draws from Gibbs sampling (Migrated from community.research.microsoft.com) RRS feed

• Question

• TimSal posted on 09-21-2010 10:09 AM

Quick question: I have just run a Gibbs sampling procedure and I would like to retrieve the generated draws for display/printing to file. How do I do this? Thanks in advance.

Friday, June 3, 2011 6:03 PM

Answers

All replies

• John Guiver replied on 09-21-2010 10:21 AM

In the BugsRats tutorial example (for example), you can get the samples as follows:

var betaCSamps = ie.Infer<SampleList<double>>(betaC, QueryTypes.Samples);

John 

• TimSal replied on 09-21-2010 10:22 AM

Great! Thanks for the quick reply!

• Hi.

I love Infer.Net. It's a great package. I'm trying to get it up and running and replicating some of the features that I can access in OpenBugs currently.

The above code doesn't seem to be working for me though.

I added it after line 51 in the BugsRats.cs file (so my code looks like the below)

Gaussian betaCMarg = ie.Infer<Gaussian>(betaC);
                    var betaCSamps = ie.Infer<SampleList<double>>(betaC, QueryTypes.Samples);
                    Gaussian alpha0Marg = ie.Infer<Gaussian>(alpha0);
                    Gamma tauCMarg = ie.Infer<Gamma>(tauC);

but I get the error below.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance for the help!

Wednesday, January 4, 2012 9:33 AM
  • Apologies. I forgot the error message. Thanks

Example failed with exception: System.ArgumentException: Cannot convert distribution type ReadOnlyCollection<double> to type SampleList<double>
       at MicrosoftResearch.Infer.Distributions.Distribution.ChangeType[TReturn](Object distribution) in C:\infernetBuilds\12-10-2011_14-16\Runtime\Distributions\Distribution.cs:line 457
       at MicrosoftResearch.Infer.Models.User.Model_Gibbs.Marginal[T](String variableName, String query)
       at MicrosoftResearch.Infer.InferenceEngine.Infer[TReturn](IVariable var, QueryType queryType) in C:\infernetBuilds\12-10-2011_14-16\Compiler\Infer\InferenceEngine.cs:line 307

Wednesday, January 4, 2012 10:47 AM
  • SampleList is no longer supported as a return type from Infer. Instead, do the following:

var betaCSamps = ie.Infer<IList<double>>(betaC, QueryTypes.Samples);

John 

Wednesday, January 4, 2012 4:44 PM
    Owner
  • Hi John

That works perfectly.

Many thanks for the quick help!

• Proposed as answer by FuriousEskimo Thursday, January 5, 2012 1:35 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by FuriousEskimo Thursday, January 5, 2012 1:35 PM
    Thursday, January 5, 2012 1:35 PM