none
Launching an EXE using a bat file RRS feed

• Question

• Over the last few days I have had difficulty installing the Intel 520 graphics driver packaged as both an application and package. The driver installs but when you look at the log files it returns an error code of 14 which simply means that a reboot is required.

I would like to launch the setup.exe -s -overwrite -nosc command line using a simple bat file.

Am I on the right track?

@echo off
    cmd.exe %~dp0setup.exe -s -overwrite -nosc
    if ERRORLEVEL 14 EXIT /B 0

DHeinz

• Edited by DRHeinz Wednesday, November 8, 2017 5:51 PM
    • Moved by Bill_Stewart Thursday, January 25, 2018 10:09 PM This is not support forum for third party software
    Wednesday, November 8, 2017 5:35 PM

Answers

• Remove cmd.exe from the beginning of that command. You don't need that.

Aside from that, this is not a third-party software package installation support forum.

The package's behavior is entirely dependent on how it is designed. You need to ask the author/vendor of the package.

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

• Marked as answer by Bill_Stewart Thursday, January 25, 2018 10:09 PM
    Wednesday, November 8, 2017 5:57 PM

All replies

• Remove cmd.exe from the beginning of that command. You don't need that.

Aside from that, this is not a third-party software package installation support forum.

The package's behavior is entirely dependent on how it is designed. You need to ask the author/vendor of the package.

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

• Marked as answer by Bill_Stewart Thursday, January 25, 2018 10:09 PM
    Wednesday, November 8, 2017 5:57 PM
  • Hi DHeinz,

Usually we use installer (something.exe) for installing a driver.
    Why do you use cmd.exe to install the graphics driver?  Is it MUST for your environment/situation?

Downloads for Intel® HD Graphics 520
    https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/88355/Intel-HD-Graphics-520

I tried to download a file from the above site and got "win64_15600.4849.zip".
    This zip file contains several folders and files. 

I have no idea if some executable file can be executed in cmd.exe.
    If you have some information, please provide it in order for me to check it.
    Regards,

Ashidacchi

Thursday, November 9, 2017 1:47 AM
  • Assuming the setup file is in the same folder as the BAT file then this will work

@echo off
    %~dp0setup.exe -s -overwrite -nosc

There is no need to check the error unless you have post install tasks however, the setup may not be finished and the command may not wait so the batch file will continue anyway.

Automating an install generally cannot be done without customizing a setup script or MSI file.

\_(ツ)_/

Thursday, November 9, 2017 1:56 AM
  • Hi,
    I argree with jrv.  jrv's suggestion would be helpful.

Ashidacchi

Thursday, November 9, 2017 2:03 AM