As of now are there any officially supported anti-virus prgroams for WHS 2011? RRS feed

• Question

• As of now are there any officially supported anti-virus prgroams for WHS 2011? I'm totally disgusted with the constant irrelevant information I find. I even called Avast who told me they do not support WHS at all, while we all know they do support the first version. Please help as I am at my wits end and ready to revert back to WHS PP2.

Thanks

James A+, Network+, MCP
    Monday, January 2, 2012 5:59 PM

All replies

• Difficult to help when there is not a supported solution!
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Monday, January 2, 2012 6:25 PM
  • All of the posts I have seen are from months ago I was thinking something may have changed since then. What do you use?

James A+, Network+, MCP
    Monday, January 2, 2012 9:27 PM
  • Nothing on the server - I don't use the Server to access the Internet (other than Windows Updates) and any Client which accesses the server is running Norton 360.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Monday, January 2, 2012 10:11 PM
  • As of now are there any officially supported anti-virus prgroams for WHS 2011? 

Microsoft has nothing. Some AV vendors claim that their product is compatible with Windows Home Server 2011, and (in theory) any AV that will run on Windows Server 2008 R2 should work fine on Windows Home Server, but if you press the vendors, they will generally reply with some flavor or other of weasel words that effectively add up to "it should work, but you're on your own if it doesn't".

There is certainly nothing that I would recommend strongly.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, January 3, 2012 2:03 AM
  • Previous iterations of WHS did have some support - Avast for example. There are no anti-virus tools officially available - there is a couple of posts around installing ForeFront security tools on a server if you have a license - or as Ken says, take a chance on a Windows Server 2008 R2 based Anti-Virus product.
    Tuesday, January 3, 2012 12:20 PM
  • It really is a travesty that Microsoft Security Essentials has not been made compatible to work with WHS 2011.
    Wednesday, January 4, 2012 3:57 AM
  • I use ESET Nod32 AV 5 which is supported for WHS 2011 and works like a charm. There is also a new version of the free Microsoft Security Essentials coming out which may support it.
    Thursday, January 5, 2012 8:31 PM
  • I use ESET Nod32 AV 5 which is supported for WHS 2011 and works like a charm.
    I can't find any reference to them supporting it on WHS2011 - where did you determine that?

Thursday, January 5, 2012 8:56 PM
  • I have been running WHS 2011 for almost 2 months using Avast server edition. I have had no problems with the installation as of yet.
    Friday, January 6, 2012 11:25 AM
  • hi ESET Nod32 AV 5 does support whs 11 I have emailed them ESET and they said Thank you for contacting ESET Sales Support. Yes, our software works with windows home server 2011.
    Friday, January 6, 2012 4:34 PM
  • They may want to change their website to reflect that then.
    Nobody is going to go by word only of a sales department via 3rd party.
    Friday, January 6, 2012 9:45 PM
  • the website says System Requirements Processor Architecture ■i386 (Intel® 80386), amd64 (x86-64) Operating Systems ■Microsoft Windows 2000 ■Microsoft Windows XP ■Microsoft Windows Vista ■Microsoft Windows 7 ■Microsoft Windows Home Server http://eset.co.uk/Home/NOD32-Antivirus
    Friday, January 6, 2012 10:16 PM
  • Windows Home Server and Windows Home Server 2011 are two very much

different operating systems.

Saturday, January 7, 2012 1:56 AM
  • Try this (officially supported on WHS 2011):

G Data WHS 2011 Internet Security

Added19 April 2012 - This does not work on WHS2011 - see other threads on this forum.

Saturday, January 7, 2012 2:46 AM
  • I'm using Immunet 3.0 non pro free version by ClamAV; works like a charm.
    Saturday, January 7, 2012 6:00 PM
  • Some appear to be having problems.

http://forum.immunet.com/index.php?/topic/1541-service-fails-on-2003-std-sp2-after-upgrade-to-305/page__p__7664__hl__%2Bwindows+%2Bhome+%2Bserver__fromsearch__1#entry7664

The last poster in this thread had to exclude Server folders.  Also, Immunet Free seems to be a cloud based scanning program, not a real time Antivirus.

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

I'm using Immunet 3.0 non pro free version by ClamAV; works like a charm.

BullDawg
    Sunday, January 8, 2012 1:04 AM
  • Phil and anyone else looking at G Data, do some searches and you will find that the G Data HomeServer product is not stable and there is no support. Don't bother.

And, I had hopes Symantec would come through for us, but, "No."
    See: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/what-right-product-windows-home-server-2011-network-consisting-server-and-several-home-office

Thursday, April 19, 2012 3:51 PM
  • I don't know of any AV software with real-time scanning which works with WHS 2011, but you can manually scan for virus with Microsoft safety scanner ( http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx ).  You can use this as a temp fix until you find something.  I use this and have found viruses which the scanner actually removed to my surprise.

Night Owl

Monday, April 30, 2012 2:07 AM