Hard Drive Configuration RRS feed

• Question

• I am converting a Dell Dimension 3000 Pentium 4 2.80 GHz to a Windows Home Server. I have 2 IDE hard drives, a 160 GB and a 500 GB, installed on the same IDE cable. There is an open optical drive bay. Can I install another 500 GB hard drive on the same IDE cable as the DVD drive that is plugged into the IDE2 slot on the motherboard? Also, as of now, the 160 GB drive is set as primary since it was the first drive and contains the current OS. Do I have to make the larger drive the primary drive when I install the WHS software? If so, do I just change the positions on the cable and the jumper settings? When I boot with the WHS software, will it then install to the larger drive and still erase the old OS on the smaller drive?
    Wednesday, October 8, 2008 10:29 PM

Answers

• Hello,
    you could do that (using the same cable, to which the DVD drive is connected and changing the drive sequence by either setting the jumpers or using the cable select feature together with the proper positioning on the IDE cables).

But you should also know, that it is not recommended, to use older hardware for a server role (even at home), if the data stored is valuable - since old hardware has a higher risk to break, is also consuming more power and is often noisier.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, October 9, 2008 1:10 PM