"Make this Data Available for Import..." option causes Excel to freeze RRS feed

• Question

• When I export a static list to Excel, and I check the "make this data available for re-importing by including required column headings" box, Excel completely freezes when I click on any of the cells in the workbook. I have to remember to go to File> Permissions> account: Unprotect and hidden: Unprotect before clicking anywhere else. I've tried saving the file first. This does not help.

This doesn't seem to be a known issue because I couldn't find anything about it on the web. How do I stop this from happening?

(I'm using CRM 2011, Office 2010, Windows 7)

• Edited by kate2345 Tuesday, April 9, 2013 3:30 PM
    Friday, April 5, 2013 4:34 PM

Answers

• I raised this with Microsoft CRM Support and basically their response was that's how its meant to work.... You have to unprotect the worksheet first. It seems to be when you try to highlight the optionset value columns or similar ones. It just locks up.

Works fine if you unprotect it.

I would raise it on Microsoft connect as a feature request Kate.

https://connect.microsoft.com/

Pete

• Proposed as answer by Pete.CRM Tuesday, June 18, 2013 7:30 AM
    • Marked as answer by kate2345 Tuesday, June 18, 2013 1:23 PM
    Tuesday, June 18, 2013 7:30 AM

All replies

• Once you have exported the data, save it as XML 2003 without doing any action on it. Then, you could import it again.

If the answer helped you, remember to mark it as answer.

Friday, April 5, 2013 5:50 PM
  • I tried saving it as XML and this does not make a difference. I am not trying to import anything.
    Friday, April 5, 2013 6:39 PM
  • Did you ever find a fix for this? happens in Office 2013 too. Very annoying.

Thanks

Pete

Wednesday, June 12, 2013 1:01 PM
  • Sadly no. I'm open to suggestions!
    Wednesday, June 12, 2013 1:05 PM
  • I've used this feature loads of times with no issue but then I too had this "lock up" a few times recently when working on a couple of files for a client.

Same as you: Excel 2010, Windows 7, I have Outlook client installed and the source environment was CRM Online (neither which ought to make any difference since this is 'just a file')

I have subsequently been able to export the same / similar data and work on it just fine.

Hope this helps.
    Adam Vero, Microsoft Certified Trainer | Microsoft Community Contributor 2011
    Blog: Getting IT Right

Wednesday, June 12, 2013 1:29 PM
  • We have the same problem. We simply want the GUID column in an export - CRM 2011 now only does this when you select export and check the re-import button. Excel doesn't appear to put the GUID in the dynamic extracts anymore.

We have RU12, Office 2010 and are running an IFD.

Any help on getting the GUID out with the data welcome :)

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 12:50 AM
  • I raised this with Microsoft CRM Support and basically their response was that's how its meant to work.... You have to unprotect the worksheet first. It seems to be when you try to highlight the optionset value columns or similar ones. It just locks up.

Works fine if you unprotect it.

I would raise it on Microsoft connect as a feature request Kate.

https://connect.microsoft.com/

Pete

• Proposed as answer by Pete.CRM Tuesday, June 18, 2013 7:30 AM
    • Marked as answer by kate2345 Tuesday, June 18, 2013 1:23 PM
    Tuesday, June 18, 2013 7:30 AM
  • Thanks for checking Pete. This must be the first time in Microsoft history where they've designed a system process that is supposed to freeze and lock up the system.

It's a disappointing answer, but an answer nonetheless. I'll suggest it on the link you provided.

Thanks,

Kate

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 1:23 PM