Vista Ultimate 32-bit: Validation issue (0xC004C4A8) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi-

I purchased Vista Ultimate (upgrade) a number of weeks ago and tried installing at the time of purchase. This was attempted over a couple of days time, but after a series of crashes in the installation process, I was never able to validate and I had to let it go and try again after a lengthy biz trip. I've now returned, which is unfortunately after the 30 days period. Now when I attempt to validate my copy of Vista I keep getting the message saying the copy is either invalid or unable to determine if its genuine (0xC004C4A8).

I tried phone activiation as well, in which the automated service replied that the input code was invalid. Below is the feedback from the Diagnostic Tool:

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0012.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Invalid License
    Detailed Status: 0xc004f012
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-6CDQM-RV23K-RP8F7
    Windows Product Key Hash: 7VrYSubZ86JPxkAAnCqEelHYZa4=
    Windows Product ID: 89580-014-0000025-71519
    Windows Product ID Type: 5
    Windows License Type: Retail
    Windows OS version: 6.0.6000.2.00010100.0.0.000
    ID: 061a4f07-accb-4733-9b53-ac77daaeff37
    Is Admin: No
    AutoDial:
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.36.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: Windows Vista (TM) Ultimate
    Architecture: 0x00000000
    Build lab: 6000.vista_rtm.061101-2205
    TTS Error:
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: Failed to retrieve file version. - 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-3178-80070002

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>061a4f07-accb-4733-9b53-ac77daaeff37</UGUID><Version>1.7.0012.0</Version><OS>6.0.6000.2.00010100.0.0.000</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-RP8F7</PKey><PID>89580-014-0000025-71519</PID><PIDType>5</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-2944967547-2660659897-1653028292</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>INTELR</Manufacturer><Model>AWRDACPI</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies, LTD</Manufacturer><Version>6.00 PG</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="2"/><Date>20021216000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>95313507018400F2</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

Tuesday, May 8, 2007 5:05 PM

Answers

•  

If your System Properties window is showing that you're activated and online validation says you're not, please

1. Phone activate and speak with a support agent when you’re given the option.  You can start by typing "slui 4" in the search field in the Start Menu and pressing Enter. Follow the prompts through phone activation (be ready for lots of numbers) and then reboot.

2. Once you're done, please revalidate by clicking on "Validate Windows" here: www.microsoft.com/genuine

After you've validated successfully you can log out and log back in or reboot to get rid of any non-genuine messaging you may be getting.

Let me know if you run into any snags.  Thanks a lot!

Wednesday, May 9, 2007 9:36 PM
  • I checked the PID from you diagnostic info and it looks like the key's been blocked by Microsoft.  I don't have access to a reason, but it looks like you'll need to get a new key.

Friday, May 11, 2007 5:57 PM
  • I'm sorry that it's been so difficult to diagnose your issue.  You're hitting a lot of different error codes and scenarios that have different resolutions.  Thanks for your understanding.  Initially it looked like you had a validation issue, and then a simple activation issue that I could help with.  Because this forum is dedicated to validation issues you'll need to contact outside support for your more complex activation issue.  Here's the number:  (800) MICROSOFT (642-7676).  You'll want to press 1, then 1, then 3 and wait for the "further options".

Thanks again!

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 2:09 AM

All replies

• Could the problem be what's described in this thread: http://forums.microsoft.com/genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1170769&SiteID=25  ?
    Tuesday, May 8, 2007 11:37 PM
  • I followed the thread and I don't believe I'm having the same problem. The problem I'm having at this point is that it seems that Vista has been activated, but it won't accept my install as valid. It seems similar to the problem happening to these folks:

http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1561207&SiteID=25

I'll be following both threads - I hope there's a resolve soon.

thanks in advance,
    Paul
    Wednesday, May 9, 2007 5:43 PM
  •  

If your System Properties window is showing that you're activated and online validation says you're not, please

1. Phone activate and speak with a support agent when you’re given the option.  You can start by typing "slui 4" in the search field in the Start Menu and pressing Enter. Follow the prompts through phone activation (be ready for lots of numbers) and then reboot.

2. Once you're done, please revalidate by clicking on "Validate Windows" here: www.microsoft.com/genuine

After you've validated successfully you can log out and log back in or reboot to get rid of any non-genuine messaging you may be getting.

Let me know if you run into any snags.  Thanks a lot!

Wednesday, May 9, 2007 9:36 PM
  • And therein lies the crux to my problem - I'm unable to get to the desktop.

Whenever I boot up Vista, I'm given the user screen. I try logging into one of the accounts I created, and I'm then given the Windows Activation dialog box, which states that my activation period expired.

I then try retyping my product key, which returns error 0xc004F061, stating that my product key is only suitable for upgrading. This doesnt make sense as I already did an install on top of my existing copy of WinXP Pro a few weeks back. When trying to activate/validate Vista then, I was only able to access the desktop for a few minutes before the machine would crash.

I can try calling support again,  but was unable to reach a person to speak with. I can try again and see if they're able to get to the root of my problem. Any other insights though would be appreciated.

Friday, May 11, 2007 4:41 PM
  • I checked the PID from you diagnostic info and it looks like the key's been blocked by Microsoft.  I don't have access to a reason, but it looks like you'll need to get a new key.

Friday, May 11, 2007 5:57 PM
  • Fan-freakin'-tastic! Ugh. Any idea why that would be? (though you said you're not sure...)

I guess the more important question is, how do I get a new key??

Thanks again for your help here...
    Friday, May 11, 2007 6:24 PM
  • It looks like the reason I thought your key is blocked is because it hasn't been entered yet. The PID I checked from your diagntostics info above is actually for the default key that installs with Vista and it's blocked right from the start.  Would you please do the following:

Click on the blue "Change product key" link in the Windows activation section of your System Properties panel.  You can access the System Properties panel by right-clicking on Computer in the Start menu and choosing Properties.  Enter your product key when prompted to do so, and press Next.

Then try revalidating, and let me know how that goes.

Thanks!

Friday, May 11, 2007 8:50 PM
  • I would honestly love to try your recommendation, but as I mentioned earlier, I'm unable to get to the desktop. The above problem happens whenever I try logging on to Vista using one of my user accounts - in never gets to the desktop to try any of these...

Unless there's another way to access the Start menu or System Properties that I'm unaware of...
    Friday, May 11, 2007 11:14 PM
  • I see!  When you try to log in, you should be presented with a window that gives you four options:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Activate Windows online now --> (this will try to activate with whatever key you already have installed)

2. Buy a new product key online --> (self-explanatory)

3. Retype your product key --> (this is the same as "Change product key" and will give you the opportunity to enter a new key if you want to activate with a key that's not yet installed)

4. Show me other ways to activate --> (this is will give you two more options

a.  Use my modem to connect directly to the activation service

b. Use the automated phone system

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please click the 3rd button, “Retype your product key”.  After you enter your key, click on Next.

Please let me know if that still doesn't work for you.  Thanks!

Friday, May 11, 2007 11:27 PM
  • I have the same exact problem as the person above, where do I find the product key? I didnt get any cd's with the pc or anything like that except for the windows office I think. Please help me.
    Saturday, May 12, 2007 12:43 AM
  • Hi again-

Thanks for the quick response. However, I'm trying to remain patient. I've mentioned in my above reply that I have gone through your recommended step already and its telling me that the key is not valid and returns error 0xc004F06, saying that the key is only suitable for upgrading - which I don't understand because it was this key I used to install in the first place.

I understand you're probably swamped with similar inquires, but I'm growing impatient because I've mentioned all of this already in my previous postings. It becomes annoying when I have to repeat myself in a format where you can scroll above and read all the steps I've already taken.
    Please - is there a number I can call instead?

Thanks again...
    Saturday, May 12, 2007 3:31 PM
  • I'm sorry that it's been so difficult to diagnose your issue.  You're hitting a lot of different error codes and scenarios that have different resolutions.  Thanks for your understanding.  Initially it looked like you had a validation issue, and then a simple activation issue that I could help with.  Because this forum is dedicated to validation issues you'll need to contact outside support for your more complex activation issue.  Here's the number:  (800) MICROSOFT (642-7676).  You'll want to press 1, then 1, then 3 and wait for the "further options".

Thanks again!

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 2:09 AM
  • Hi-

Ya, reviewing these posts myself, I can see there's a couple of items at issue here. Thanks for for number and info. I'll give them a call straight away tomorrow to resolve.

Thanks again...

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 2:45 AM
  • I called the above number and after a very long period (about an hour), they were able to help me. For some reason, Vista installed as a new installation, and my product key was only for the upgrade. They were able to sort by resetting the activation, and having me enter the product key again. Once there, the validation went smooth as silk.

Thanks again for your help.
    Tuesday, May 15, 2007 7:33 PM
  • I'm glad it worked out!  Thanks for updating your post.  I'm sure it will help other people in the same predicament.

Take care!

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 11:38 PM
  • So in other words, you thought you had an upgrade disc and instead you had a full install disc with an upgrade disc key?

Sunday, March 2, 2008 3:44 PM