Windows XP O/S transfer/reuse RRS feed

• Question

• I have just bought  a new laptop with Windows 7 Home 64 preinstalled on it.
    I would like to repartition the drive and install a dual boot with the Win XP system as well.
    I have a number of third party applications that will only run under XP that I need to run.
    I would prefer not to pay for a further Windows 7 upgrade (to run the XP programs) and
    find out that the applications and their drivers won't run in that environment.
    I have a purchased (not OEM) copy of Win XP Home Edition that I had installed on a desktop that I no
    longer use.

Can I transfer/delete the Win XP O/S from the old desktop and install it on my new laptop?
    Is there a special way to 'properly' accomplish this transfer?
    If so, do I reuse the previous product key or how do I obtain a new usable product key?
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 7:58 PM

Answers

• Hello Sailing_Ted,

If the available Windows XP Home Edition is a full retail license, you are permitted by the End User Licensing Agreement to move that installed license for XP Home from the computer it is on now, to your new computer.

Install XP Home (the dual boot installation procedure with Win 7 is out of the scope of our forum) using the Product Key that came with the full retail copy of XP Home.  When you activate, that current activation process will supercede the activation on the old computer.

Once you have saved/transfered the data and programs on the old computer, just put it into storage.  As long as you do not use the computer for too long after installing that license on your new computer, you will not run into any licensing or activation/validation problems---the activation/validation system is not that finely tuned.  You do not have to go thru the bother of erasing the Windows installation unless you have other plans for continued use of the computer.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 8:28 PM