Windows Update not working RRS feed

• Question

• I haven't touched my Windows Home Server 2011 box in almost three years. I would like to start it back up to do some web development locally. However, I haven't had an update or security patch since 2012. Now when I try to run Windows Update it fails and says that the service is not running. I've rebooted and checked the running services with Task Manager with no resolution. Task Manager says that wuauserv is running. Any ideas? How can I kick-start Wupd

Mark

Tuesday, June 2, 2015 5:04 AM

All replies

• I haven't touched my Windows Home Server 2011 box for three years. Now I want to restart it for some web development. The problem is that my last patches and updates are dated 2012 and I can't get Windows Update to run. It gives a message that the service is not running and I may have to reboot. I've rebooted several times and checked the services with Task Manager and it shows that wuauserv is running. Any ideas? Can I be too far out of date?

Mark

• Merged by Frank Shen5 Thursday, June 4, 2015 2:21 AM duplicate thread
    Tuesday, June 2, 2015 4:58 AM
  • Hi Mark,

We can try to start the Windows Update service by running the following command:

net start bits

• net start wuauserv

and then verify if the following services are running:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Windows Update

Regarding this point, the following article can be referred to as reference.

"Windows Update Cannot Check For Updates" error message when you try to install updates

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2730071

Best regards,
    Frank Shen

• Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 4, 2015 3:13 AM