Prevent auto renewal/c-c charge RRS feed

• Question

• My renewal date is in Feb, how do I stop auto renewal of one care since it is not being supported anymore (at least not for the full year)(yea, they PROMISE to support....they barley support it now ;-( ) the only thing I can find it cancel now & loose a few months of service which is also not acceptable either....I am VERRY UNHAPPY about this "improvement".

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 3:58 AM

Answers

• First thing to do is get your facts straight. OneCare will be supported through the end of your subscription or the end of 2010, whichever comes first. So there's no need to rush, just prepare to make a decision before your subscription actually runs out.

Since the free antimalware application (Morro) from Microsoft will be available sometime in second half of 2009, I intend to renew OneCare one more time and then make my decision after I've seen what it will provide. If it won't suit my needs, I'll then go looking later in the year for something to replace it before my subscription runs out in April 2010.

If all you need is antivirus/antispyware it's likely that the free application might do the job. If all you need in addition is backup it's easy to find that elsewhere, especially online backup which is very common now. If you need other features then you might need to look into another suite from someone else.

OneCareBear

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 6:18 AM

All replies

• First thing to do is get your facts straight. OneCare will be supported through the end of your subscription or the end of 2010, whichever comes first. So there's no need to rush, just prepare to make a decision before your subscription actually runs out.

Since the free antimalware application (Morro) from Microsoft will be available sometime in second half of 2009, I intend to renew OneCare one more time and then make my decision after I've seen what it will provide. If it won't suit my needs, I'll then go looking later in the year for something to replace it before my subscription runs out in April 2010.

If all you need is antivirus/antispyware it's likely that the free application might do the job. If all you need in addition is backup it's easy to find that elsewhere, especially online backup which is very common now. If you need other features then you might need to look into another suite from someone else.

OneCareBear

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 6:18 AM
  • I'll add that the only way to prevent the auto-renewal would be to cancel just prior to that point. If you cancel now, your cancellation takes effect immediately, which isn't what you want.

You could try to invalidate your payment information at https://billing.microsoft.com, but I don't know how successful you would be if you changed the credit card number, for example.

I agree with OneCareBear, too. My recommendation for those who like OneCare is to renew the subscription if it expires between now and the availability of Morro in the latter part of 2009. Finding a retail copy of OneCare for less, will allow you to renew now using the key, which will override the credit card renewal and extend your subscription by 12 months past the current expiration. You can renew with a retail key any time that you have less than 12 months remaining on your subscription. This can be done from the Billing site linked above.

-steve

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 2:28 PM