Can I migrate WHS to another computer? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
    I have bought WHS and installed it on a Dell GX260 computer, with a Maxtor 300Gb HD. It is functionally oké.
    However, the pc makes a lot of noice. The noice is on the long run not acceptable.
    I would like to migrate WHS to a silent computer.
    From my employer I got a IBM ThinkCentre with XpPro, a really silent computer. It only needs more memory.

Is it possible to migrate WHS to the IBM computer? And still using the 300Gb HD?
    What actions are needed? Are there any problems to expect?

I hope someone can give me a positive reaction.
    Paul
    Saturday, September 5, 2009 8:01 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    if the chipset and CPU family is the same, and if the SATA controller mode during installation was and is also on the new system set to IDE, your chances are good, that the system boots up and you can install the necessary drivers. Product activation may kick in after.
    If that not works, perform a server reinstall. This is a special installation mode, which replaces only the system volume, but leaves the data intact.
    You will have to accquire all the updates again.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, September 5, 2009 8:29 PM
  • Hello Olaf,
    I already have tried to connect my Maxtor HD in the new PC.
    After the boot the screen stayes black. So no connections
    I wil look at your suggestion "server reinstall".
    Thank you for your reaction so far.
    Greetings from Holland.
    Paul
    Saturday, September 5, 2009 8:41 PM
  • You will also need to reactivate your server. Strictly speaking, you are not legally permitted to move your Windows Home Server installation to a new computer. However, Microsoft has been pretty forgiving, as long as you're not running it on more than one computer. You'll probably have to call to activate our server, though.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, September 6, 2009 4:18 AM