Can I get remote desktop gateway to work without buying an SSL cert? RRS feed

• Question

• I very rarely used the remote desktop, but I found it quite a useful feature in WHSv1.  Every once in a while I would remember some long download I wanted to get started and could log into my server or desktop from work to get it going.

Now I've upgraded to WHS 2011 RTM, and so far it's working quite well, but I am frustrated that I can't get the RD Gateway working with my exisiting domain.  I have free private registration, web hosting with unlimited storage and bandwidth, and email service with my current registrar, so I am loathe to give it up, but I decided what the heck and started to transfer the domain to GoDaddy.  Got to checkout and saw that there's a required $50/yr SSL cert in there, on top of the transfer, plus another $20 if I want private registration.  Seriously?  Isn't there some way around this?  I was perfectly happy with the cert warnings with WHSv1 since I am the only one who uses the server.

Monday, April 11, 2011 11:05 PM

All replies

• I would suggest just setting up a homeserver.com or other available built-in domain. This will give you a trusted certificate for that name.

Then you just use that name when you want to use remote desktop and keep your other domain for everything else.

-timotl

Monday, April 11, 2011 11:59 PM
  • How do I set up a homeserver.com domain?  I know it was an option with v1, but I no longer have v1 running.  Thanks for your reply!

EDIT:  Not sure if this was the easiest way, but I installed v1 as a virtual machine and created the name there.  Then I set up my domain on the 2011 server, and the configuration worked just fine.  I'm still not able to connect, however.  I think the DNS servers are still propogating, so I'll try tomorrow.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 1:39 AM
  • How do I set up a homeserver.com domain?  I know it was an option with v1, but I no longer have v1 running.  Thanks for your reply!

EDIT:  Not sure if this was the easiest way, but I installed v1 as a virtual machine and created the name there.  Then I set up my domain on the 2011 server, and the configuration worked just fine.  I'm still not able to connect, however.  I think the DNS servers are still propogating, so I'll try tomorrow.

There would be no propigation of a sub domain that is referenced by a leased IP from your internet provider (Public IP).  Most likely its your router has not been configured to forward to the new machine that is a Private IP.  Double check your firewall in your router and forward all HTTP traffic (Port 80 and 443) to your new WHS IP address.

The only concern with what you have done is the proper certificates may not be configured - I say may as WHS 2011 has many inconsistencies.  If you get a cert issue there is another thread on cert issues.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 1:51 PM
  • I said that I thought it was DNS replication because it took about an hour for me to be able to ping the new subdomain.  Port forwarding was already set properly, I just wasn't getting any IP address for my new subdomain.

I just tested now and it worked fine.  It would be nice if they were still natively offering the option to set up the homeserver.com subdomain with WHS2011, because I can't imagine many casual home users who will be willing to spend the money on SSL certificates.  Especially when there is little explanation of why they might be needed.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 11:25 PM