System Storage Question? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have recently built a whs system.
    I have 3 x 1tb drives connected to a raid controller on a raid 0 setup, (will be adding another 1tb for raid 10 soon)

the build has gone reletively well, although something that is concerning me is in the server storage tab in whs console, it displays that 866gb is taken up by the system?? wtf! that seems an awful lot.
    388gb for shared folders, 188gb for backups and 1.3tb free.

why is so much space used for the system, is this normal?

thanks for any help

mcsquirter

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 3:07 PM

Answers

•  Mcsquirter wrote:
    Hi,

I have recently built a whs system.
    I have 3 x 1tb drives connected to a raid controller on a raid 0 setup, (will be adding another 1tb for raid 10 soon)

All versions of RAID are unsupported on WHS (although you can get them to work).

Mcsquirter wrote:
    the build has gone reletively well, although something that is concerning me is in the server storage tab in whs console, it displays that 866gb is taken up by the system?? wtf! that seems an awful lot.
    388gb for shared folders, 188gb for backups and 1.3tb free.

why is so much space used for the system, is this normal?

That depends.  After installing Power Pack 1, WHS takes the total space on the server, then subtracts the amount of space being used by the Shared Folders, Duplication, PC Backups, and Free Space, then considers everything else System.  So if you have a lot of files outside the scope of WHS, yes, it's normal.  (Shadow Copies are also considered System, although that would be an awful lot of Shadow Copies.)

Mcsquirter wrote:
    thanks for any help

mcsquirter

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 3:30 PM