none
What is the best C# certification test for a beginner?

Question

• Hi,

I hope the is the correct place to post this question, if not I apologize.

I'm looking for some guidance.  I'm currently a beginner/intermediate C# programmer (self taught) and just started taking some online courses so that I could learn programming terminology and really just the fundamentals. 

A little background on me...  I've been writing programs in C# for around a year and 1/2 now but to be honest, I don't understand a lot of what I'm doing.  I'm able to figure out what logic my program needs to follow so I am able to find examples of code online and alter that code to work for what I need it to do.  The problem is I don't really understand programming terminology and really just the basics and how it all ties together.

My manager would like me to take a Certification test in June to show how much I've learned but I'm not sure what test I should be taking. 

If anyone could offer some advice or suggestions I would really appreciate it.  I just need something that will test me on the basics of C#, something for beginners.

- Joan :)

Friday, April 8, 2016 3:23 PM

Answers

• Hi, Joan.

I have to disagree with Sabah's post.

The 70-483 exam is not a beginner C# exam. It is the top professional certification exam for the C# programming language. Based on your experience, I don't believe you are ready for that exam.

Instead, I suggest you take a look at the Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA) exams. These are used by college students and others new to programming.

There are three (3) MTA exams related to software development. Passing just one (1) exam earns you the Software Developer MTA title, shown here:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/learning/mta-certification.aspx#developer

I suspect exam 98-361 called Software Development Fundamentals is right up your alley. It's a little cheaper, too! Check it out here:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/learning/exam-98-361.aspx

I will admit that the MTA titles hold less weight on your resume than the professional certification exams. However, you can take the easier MTA exam now to satisfy the manager's requirement and then pursue the 70-483 on your own schedule. The MTA certifications are great "stepping stone" titles for those new to the industry. 

Good luck!

Best wishes, Davin Mickelson

Monday, April 11, 2016 12:32 PM
    Answerer

All replies