CRM 2015 coping fields across entities RRS feed

• Question

• What's the best way, excluding plugins,  to have a field entry move/copy when converting to an opportunity?

I currently created a custom account field in the appointment entity and I want that account entry to auto populate the OTB "Account" field in the opportunity after converting it.

Thank you -

Torry

Monday, August 3, 2015 2:28 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Have you tried workflows?

Dynamics CRM MVP
    My blog

• Marked as answer by Torry D Tuesday, September 1, 2015 6:28 PM
    Monday, August 3, 2015 2:36 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Have you tried workflows?

Dynamics CRM MVP
    My blog

• Marked as answer by Torry D Tuesday, September 1, 2015 6:28 PM
    Monday, August 3, 2015 2:36 PM
  • I've thought about it.  I got a little confused with the hook.  What's the relation or field i can use in the WF from appointment to the newly created opportunity?

• Edited by Torry D Monday, August 3, 2015 2:49 PM
    Monday, August 3, 2015 2:44 PM
  • Fairly I still don't understand your scenario. When do you create mentioned appointment?

Dynamics CRM MVP
    My blog

Monday, August 3, 2015 2:57 PM
  • So a couple things:

1. If you created a custom Account entity, it will never auto-populate the out-of-the-box Account entity on an Opportunity.  That would be a type mismatch.
    2. You will need to create a relationship between the Opportunity and your custom Account entity.  Once you have this relationship, you can open up the relationship mapping between the Appointment and the Opportunity, and map the custom Account from one to the other.  This will make the custom Account field on the Opportunity populate with the custom account on the Appointment.

The postings on this site are solely my own and do not represent or constitute Hitachi Solutions' positions, views, strategies or opinions.

Monday, August 3, 2015 3:11 PM
  • We are using activities as a daily to do list.  The sales people are creating appointments and once the meeting(s) are moving closer to a deal,  the appointment is then converted to an opportunity. The  aapointment field "required attendees", when converted to an opportunity move over the the "Contact" field in the oppty.  I'm trying to achieve the same result with a customer account.
    Monday, August 3, 2015 3:19 PM
  • 1. I created a custom lookup field on the appt form called account not a custom entity.

2. A Relationship already exist between the oppty and the account entity,  can I utilize that using a custom lookup field to the already existing Account entity?

• Edited by Torry D Monday, August 3, 2015 3:23 PM
    Monday, August 3, 2015 3:22 PM
  • Torry,

Thanks for clarification. What approach do you use for conversion from Appointment to Opportunity? As far as I remember there is no such OOB functionality.

Dynamics CRM MVP
    My blog

Monday, August 3, 2015 3:32 PM
  • each activity once you save it has the OTB convert button in the top tool bar

Monday, August 3, 2015 3:44 PM
  • Facepalm. I should stop develop and start learn OOB features ))

I haven't checked that scenario so I'm not pretty sure that you will manage overriding of default behavior without any development.

Dynamics CRM MVP
    My blog

Monday, August 3, 2015 3:47 PM
  • lol, chalk it up to being a Monday.  

Good deal,   I'm going to see how a WF behaves and if the results are quick enough on retrieval to suffice.

Thank you

Monday, August 3, 2015 3:54 PM
  • Ok I can't knock CRM WF anymore, for now anyways lol.

I use a simple WF to update the Account value from the related appointment.  The x factor was a new cool button in the WF setup called "Convert to a real-time workflow"

My account value was already populated on load.   Not sure the downside to using the real-time feature.  Time will tell with more users and more WFs I introduce.

Thanks -

Torry

Monday, August 3, 2015 8:30 PM